Diving Pearl Harbor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dived a downshoodet Convoi in a habor the carryers explodet hard the 2

protecion vessel (esay Corvetts) are more or minder in good condition...

E.L.7*

Of similar interest... while I was working Harbor Security at Pearl I was lucky enough to visit the superstructure of the USS Arizona. The superstructure was removed and put on dry land over near Westlock.

just to let you guys know also... they kinda pump their black water in to pearl harbor off all this ships... yeah, thats not the type of water you want to be swimming in. They give guys some sort of end all be all shot. Kinda nasty

Not sure where you got your info, but your statement is completely false. As a matter of fact Pearl Harbor has won several environmental awards for their stewardship of the harbor. Additionally, no "blackwater" is intentionally discharged into the harbor unlike the ala wai. Facts not innuendo and conjecture are what are important.

Here are a few examples of facts.
1. The Department of Environmental Services of the City and County of Honolulu presented the Navy in Hawai'i with the "2007 Everyday Environmental Team Leadership Award" during a ceremony held Monday at Kapolei Hale, the city's civic center complex in leeward Oahu.
2. The Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) announced on Feb. 20 that Navy Region Hawai'i, which oversees all Hawai'i-based naval installations, was selected as the winner of the CNO Environmental Award for Team Cultural Resources Management. The award is one of 10 categories that recognize ships, installations and individuals or teams for their exceptional environmental stewardship.
3. Navy Region Hawai'i and Pacific Missile Range Facility (PMRF) on Kauai were Gold Energy Award winners, for the second consecutive year, at the Secretary of the Navy (SECNAV) Energy Awards ceremony held Oct. 26 at the Navy Memorial in Washington, D.C. In 2002, PMRF won the SECNAV Platinum Energy Award.

You could very right. Its just everytime I go out on a submarine and we pull into pearl, they will pump sans in the water or the line will break dumping into the harbor. I could be mistaken and they could have been accidents, I just have seen this and dont think i would want to get in that water with out proper medication and gear. Not trying by any means to defoul Pearl Harbor, just putting out what I have seen from personal experience. I apologzie for any confusion.

Well, as submariner for the past 18 years and having been on two submarines in pearl harbor and currently employed by the tycom, i would venture to say that these are rare occasions and occur far less frequently than implied.

So the operative part of pearl harbor is a obviously a restricted area and the underseas, non-operative part is considered a military graveyard and therefore restricted?

Since underwater wrecks where people have lost their lives here in Norway also is considered gravesites, this raises a question to me;
Is it an "international policy" that wrecks where people have died is considered gravesites, or is for example Pearl Harbor an exception?

By wrecks where people have lost their lives, I do primarilly mean people lost their lives when it BECAME a wreck, not after it became a wreck as that might be considered somewhat different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom