diving on good friday?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom R once bubbled...
Didn't see any of you in Rockport today, but tomorrows another day, so is Monday.

Tom

We were in disguise... Ok maybe in neoprene, latex and other forms of rubber and under water (gad that sounds a bit kinky)…… Actually the four of us were there “around” the noon hour.

Were you part of the group with K Ripley?

Now Joe & I have a plan to be there on Monday with anther group. Are we true OFWF or what?

Tom R once bubbled...
That'll be the group.

Tom

I either didn't see you, or didn't recognize you... sorry about that. Hope you had a good dive.

My buddy Jerry and I went for a dive at Burleigh Falls on Good Friday. The water looked a little high (it's up a foot) and it looked a little swift (all gates on damn are open.) Dah You Think?
Did this sway our intent, WELL NO! We came to dive. We met Tinman and his buddy Brian B just comning out of the sourth Bay, telling us how swift the current was.
We looked at the south bay which was the safe bet, and said NAW that for newbies!
So the "GUY" thing was to go into the torrent, down the cable and if it's too strong, follow it out and swim around the big rock and into the south bay for a safe exit, Right? (well sort of) We made it down to the cable ok, hand over hand on the rocks, we dropped into the valley where I expected the current to drop, but no way it picked up. I found myself wrapped around the cable as it drops down to the bottom like wet laundry on a cloths line. Jerry got caught an upwelling and almost shot to the surface. We regrouped on the cable, caught our breaths which were pumping, just like our hearts, and we made out way out the cable around the corner to the channel. We followed our plan heading south and then heading to 240° towards the big rock.
Well I'm down to 1000 psi and Jerry's at 800, we are totally lost, so we surfaced. We found ourselves 2/3's of the way across to the far side and drifting north. We stayed on the surface and headed due south towards the dock at the bottom of south bay. It was a long swim, but we managed to get out of the main current . Once we were across the main channel the current eased up and we headed more westerly to come into the south bay. What a swim! We were exhausted! After a rest we made our way into the south bay, crawling along the rocks like mud puppies throught the shallow channel where ther is about1 1/2 feet of water. We then dived along the bottom to crawl through the little channnel and surfaced at the shore. We rested again on the rock seats and took off our fins. Then we walked up on shore and back to my blazer.

Next time you think the current is a little too stiff, it probably is!

Mike D
:blfish:

mddolson once bubbled...
My buddy Jerry and I went for a dive at Burleigh Falls on Good Friday. The water looked a little high (it's up a foot) and it looked a little swift (all gates on damn are open.) Dah You Think?
Did this sway our intent, WELL NO! We came to dive. We met Tinman and his buddy Brian B just comning out of the sourth Bay, telling us how swift the current was.
We looked at the south bay which was the safe bet, and said NAW that for newbies!

...I guess I should have waited around, could have practiced my rescue skills... We would have given it a whirl but Brian B decided he wanted to try his wetsuit out and I didn't want him to become an Ice Cube float in mid channel while I sat comfi in my drysuit. Considering your experience, I'm glad we did the mundane dive this week. Brian B has decided the drysuit is tight but preferable when the water temp is still in the 30s! We'll take the current ride next weekend and see how our nav skills fare...

Butch103 bubbled: .......you know what a snowflake in a blizzard feels like?

I don't know about a snowflake, at 250 lbs I'd be more like a giant snow ball.

I think I know what a flag feels like in a wind storm.

Here's a drawing of our dive track (sort of)

Mike D

(in alphabetic order) canuckdiver, DivingGal, Diver Joe and Doppler for making diving for jrtonkin and self so enjoyable this past weekend (hey! you snuck back to dive on Monday!). We enjoyed both dive days (yes, even the shared-air non-drill, which gave jrtonkin a chance to try my new primary reg out... briefly).

I must also confess that I also *really* enjoyed messing with the heads of the drysuited divers at Rockport :D (heh - I warned you all it was an *evil* grin).

I'll be back. :armed: Possibly with pudding...
Next weekend it looks like the Silver Islet cleanup at Sleeping Giant Provincial Park for me and other T-Bayers- assuming Lake Superior has finally thawed a bit.

(edited: whoops! Diver Joe not Joe Diver - mea culpa)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom