Diving on a cruise - should I register equipment with customs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bcleveland

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Going on a cruise from Norfolk to Eastern Carribean in a few weeks and taking equipment. The cruise line (Holland America) web site says:

Registering Your Valuables
We strongly recommend that you register your valuables with Customs before leaving home. If you cannot prove that you owned an item prior to departure, Customs Officials may charge you duty to bring it back into your country. This should be done well in advance of travel at a Customs office near your home. Items that should be registered generally include those not manufactured in your country. Customs pays particular attention to cameras (including special lenses and video equipment), binoculars, radios, laptop computers, foreign-made watches and other similar appliances. Customs officials will not be available at the ship during check-in to register valuables.

Should I do this or not worry about it? Do they usually worry about dive equipment? Or do they just look at "new looking" stuff? It may be a silly question, but does the guy looking over your stuff in line know where the equipment is manufactured?

What is the common practice? We're hoping to do more int'l dive travel , just want to do the right thing.

Thanks!!!

Welcome to the board.
Maybe some countries worry about this sort of thing but I have never had US customs give me a second look. It's rare they even look in anyones baggage unless you declare some fruits or vegetables. I put $50 of T-shirts on the form and let it go. I have been out of the country at least twice each year since 99 and 3 times this year alone. All my trips have been by air but customs should be customs. I would not worry about it. Go have fun.

The only person I know that got items confiscated by Customs was returning from Thailand with 25 fake Rolex watches...

3dent:
The only person I know that got items confiscated by Customs was returning from Thailand with 25 fake Rolex watches...

Customs is interested in things that you may have bought outside of the US (and should be paying duty on).

Look at the prices on stuff here in the US before you go. Not only dive gear but look at Tag Heuer watches and whatever. Cameras, Computers, and their ridiculous, outdated list.

Then go on your trip. Look at "duty free". Look at the retail shop prices at your destination. (Probably shown in US dollars) Higher than an elephant's butt and twice as stinky! You are simply not buying dive gear outside the US.

Worry, if anything, about gold/silver/gemstone jewelry. Even then, I doubt anything will be said. Remember, when the guy in uniform is complimenting you on you necklace, he's not just passing time.

As to the 25 fake Rolex watches... I was just diving in the Philippines. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone trying to sell you a (very nice) fake Rolex (and even more jazzy brands). I don't know how they do it with the $20 that they'll settle for, but back here in the States, nice phonies go for $125 on the very low end.

My nieces (and their "squad") liked them! I bought maybe 12 or so. Slipped right by the man.

I have taken my gear on many cruises and never had any problems. Of course if your stuff is still in the box, it may raise their eyebrows.

Back
Top Bottom