Diving Ohio, this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RPanick:
Weather forecast for Sunday is Rain/Snow showers with a low of 32 and a high of 41. At least if you believe weather.com. Dry suit or no dry suit, that's just not pleasant. If I want suffering like that I'll watch a Lion's game.

That's what the tents and heaters are for :wink: It was spitting snow/drizzle when we got in for the first dive Sunday and the students were excited about getting to add that to their certification story; did I mention I only train crazy people? The weather had cleared up by the time we finished that dive plus the skin dive which meant they were done for the day. We went to the tent to warm up and grab a snack and I told them if they wanted to make a dive on their own now that they were certified we would keep the tents warm for them. All the students made that next dive and had a great time. The feedback I got was that having the tent and the heaters and the hot chocolate really made the weekend pleasant. There were other wetsuit divers out there with no shelter and I felt REALLY sorry for them, there was a lot of shivering going on.
Ber :lilbunny:

bladephotog:
Your students must be crazy. The weather yesterday morning was perfect for weeding out the weak.:D Nice seeing you.

Nah, but they are spoiled :coffee: The next group will be offered Ohio certification dives either March 17-18, or June 2-3, 2007. Anyone who opts for the March check-outs is crazy, that water is COLD :penguin2: and you just never know what the weather will be. Two of my staff have already said they aren't going and one dives a drysuit.

Good seeing you as well!

Spoiled or not, that was a good group of students. Couple equipment issues, but they handled it.

Funny story. I was taking pictures on the second dive Saturday. Students were practicing the unconcious diver rescue, so I was hanging out at the platform while they ascended with the "victim". Ken swims up, gives me the "I'm cold" sign and thumbs the dive. I'm thinking, man, if Ken's cold those students are really suffering! Turned out the students were already heading in.

jepuskar:
I think my buddy and I are going to go to Gilboa this winter...we are virgins.

I Googled the quarry for a map and had no issue finding it on my virgin dive. There's not really a sign, so look for a bunch of landscaping rocks along the side of the road.

Steve_Dives:
Spoiled or not, that was a good group of students. Couple equipment issues, but they handled it.

Spoiling them is the only way to get them to continue to dive locally, especially in this kind of weather :D They did do a great job of handling the equipment problems especially that weightbelt issue, I was really proud of them. Some of the pictures those first two dives are showing some danglies but by the end of Sunday they were cleaned up. I would put them in the water with most AOW divers I have seen and challenge anyone to correctly choose which one is the new diver. You should have seen them on Sunday, horizontal and holding their safety stop depth without a line. They probably worked harder with their buoyancy control on their own in the pool than any class I've ever had and it showed.

Steve_Dives:
Funny story. I was taking pictures on the second dive Saturday. Students were practicing the unconcious diver rescue, so I was hanging out at the platform while they ascended with the "victim". Ken swims up, gives me the "I'm cold" sign and thumbs the dive. I'm thinking, man, if Ken's cold those students are really suffering! Turned out the students were already heading in.
You guys should have come up and joined us so the students could push you in to the dock, no point in swimming if you don't have to :D

By any chance are you missing a pair of size 12 booties and Kokopelli socks? There was a pair by the front of my car and they didn't belong to any of the students. I brought them home, if they aren't yours I'll send them back to Mike to put in the lost-n-found.

You are tougher than I. IndyScott and I were at the apartment on Saturday and Sunday. We saw your HHR leave on Sunday.

Two dives of about 100 minutes each was enough for us. You have never seen me get back into regular clothes that quickly either.

diverbrian:
You are tougher than I. IndyScott and I were at the apartment on Saturday and Sunday. We saw your HHR leave on Sunday.

Two dives of about 100 minutes each was enough for us. You have never seen me get back into regular clothes that quickly either.

Scuba snob huh? Wouldn't even wander down and say "Hi!" My students had the bunkhouse, I slept in my DM's heated camper :D

Ber Rabbit:
Scuba snob huh? Wouldn't even wander down and say "Hi!" My students had the bunkhouse, I slept in my DM's heated camper :D

And I went for the nice comfortable hotel room.

The firm pillow was definitely better than the soft one.

:D

Ber Rabbit:
I would put them in the water with most AOW divers I have seen and challenge anyone to correctly choose which one is the new diver.

The ones with solid orange dots on their wristbands. :wink:

Ber Rabbit:
By any chance are you missing a pair of size 12 booties and Kokopelli socks?

Ahh man! Now everybody knows about my Koko socks! :rofl3: They were a gift, and the only place to cold enough to wear them is in 51F water.

By the way, how were the tubes on Sunday?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom