Diving Ohio, this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Aloha
I am going to try and visit family this weekend in northern Ohio and would like to get a dive in. Is the lake still doable? Anything else going on? Any recomendations?
Thanks in advance.

Is that a quarry? Thanks.

Can someone give me a 30 second tour of Ohio diving? What can be done this time of year?
Mahalo

Yes, Gilboa is a quarry. But it's a fun place to dive. www.divegilboa.com It's pretty much quarry diving this time of year. Most people have their boats pulled. I believe all charter boats are pulled by now. So you're pretty much left with quarry diving unless you know someone with a boat. But it can get pretty hairy out on the lakes this time of year.

The other option is White Star quarry. http://www.scpd-parks.org/whitestar.htm.

White Star is open April 1st - Dec 31st.

White Star is about an hour and a half from Cleveland. Gilboa is closer to 3 hours. Portage is about 2 hours, but usually closed this time of year.

Lake is pretty much out of the question. There are 1700+ ship wrecks down there for a reason.

I'll be at Gilboa Sat/Sun with some OW students. I'm planning to arrive at 8am to set up before the students arrive. All are welcome to come hang out with us! Will have a 10x10 white tent with sides and a heater :) Will probably set up near the far end of the quarry. Look for a dark gray Chevy HHR with a stripe package that says "Wicked" and has a shark on each rear quarter panel.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
I'll be at Gilboa Sat/Sun with some OW students. I'm planning to arrive at 8am to set up before the students arrive. All are welcome to come hang out with us! Will have a 10x10 white tent with sides and a heater :) Will probably set up near the far end of the quarry. Look for a dark gray Chevy HHR with a stripe package that says "Wicked" and has a shark on each rear quarter panel.

Cool, I'll stop over and say hello.

bladephotog:
Cool, I'll stop over and say hello.

Great! If we're in the water help yourself to the warmth of the tent :)

Ber Rabbit:

Hey Ber! I'll make it by for a couple dives. I need to be back by about 3:30, I think there's a game on or something. :rofl3: (Go Bucks!) I'll also try to show at 8AM, I'll need the time to wedge into my suit! :wink:

C'mon down to Gilboa. Always a party. Water was 55F at the surface and 53F at 64 feet last Saturday. Vis was 20 feet in the worst spots, and well beyond in others. I swear I could see the thermometers at the tubes from 40 feet up and 20 feet lateral (top of the wall).

But, hey, your not gonna be one of those wimps in a drysuit are you??? :D

:popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom