Diving Lake Pleasant 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am thiking of heading out to VP this weekend. How are the conditions? Water temps, etc?

How deep will I be ok going with a 3mm?

I am thiking of heading out to VP this weekend. How are the conditions? Water temps, etc?

How deep will I be ok going with a 3mm?

A 3mm should be fine. As far as how deep you can go wearing it; as far as you can stand to go. The thermocline is at about 35 feet. Vis above the thermocline is surprisingly good (at least it was last weekend). That's where the small fish are hanging out.

Below the thermocline there are "clouds" of murkyness. But even at 80+ feet the vis is around 10 feet. Not good if you consider 100 foot vis as "marginal" but if you're a true lake diver it's all good.

Steve.

Dove this morning at Lake Pleasant. Got there about 7:30 and there was some clouds with rain to the south. Just a couple sprinkles and that was it. Never seen the lake as smooth as it was. Only one other boat that I saw driving on the lake beside mine. I dove three spots on the east side of the lake accessible by boat. The thermocline was about 35' give or take a couple of feet. Vis was not the best at the thermocline. In fact it started getting bad a few feet before hitting the colder water. The silt floating in the watter is riding on top of the colder water. It stayed sort of bad until about 50' when it looked like it might open back up, but that was as deep as I went.

Water at surface was 85.5 and at 35' it dropped off to the mid to low 60s and upper 50s to low 60s below that.

Great day to dive today. very very little boat traffic. The water is way down. Tech island is starting to peak out of the water. It is possible to drive out to Burro Island now. I saw a 4x4 truck there, so I figure at least trucks can do it. I didn't boat over there to see for myself though.

Can't wait to get back out next weekend.

Looking forward to going to the lake next weekend. Not able to go diving this weekend though.
We'll be whooping it up in Vegas, Baby! Under strict orders to leave my regs and tanks home so Lake Mead will have to wait. I'll be with the best girl in the world so it's all good.

Steve.

Any suggestions as to which side of the lake to dive on? Vista Point side or Desert Tort. (assuming there is still water in the lake this weekend).

Thanks
-JD

I and some others will be diving Vista Point tomorrow morning early AM. Their are also classes going so I am just reaching out to others to join. I hope to find a buddy to dive with other then students.

Dove DT today with students and the water level is WAY DOWN from just 1mth ago! You can now drive way out on DT! While we dove in the 2nd cove when traveling down the rode the viz was 15ft at 20ft. It then went to black at 25ft. however, we saw a lot of bass around the 20ft mark. The temp was at 84 even at 6AM. If you are looking for a deep dive JD then I would go to Vista. The viz is always better over there and you can get deep quickly.

Dove DT today with students and the water level is WAY DOWN from just 1mth ago! You can now drive way out on DT! While we dove in the 2nd cove when traveling down the rode the viz was 15ft at 20ft. It then went to black at 25ft. however, we saw a lot of bass around the 20ft mark. The temp was at 84 even at 6AM. If you are looking for a deep dive JD then I would go to Vista. The viz is always better over there and you can get deep quickly.

We went over towards Burro Island. Man the water was shallow, are they trying to kill the Zebra mussels by draining the lake. Just kidding, the water is usually this low right now.

Adam we were just going for fun dives no deep stuff, thanks though. The water was clear at first but with all the divers in the water the iffy vis went to poop in a matter of minutes. Needed to get some time with my drysuit before the winter season (which I hope to dive more this year). Yes I was the one wearing a drysuit in August with doubles at the lake, Craig was trying out his new duct-tape gear (he put duct-tape in his cam bands and other pieces of equipment it was hilarious, looked awesome).:D He was only joking but man did people give him some looks.

Anybody going diving at the lake this Saturday?

Went diving this morning w/ hbhobby down at Vista Pt. Visibility was slightly reduced compared to when I went a month ago. It was about 15 - 20 ft. This could have been because of the lack of sun shine and there was a Rescue Diver class that was kicking up a good amount of bottom. Temps are in the 80's above the thermocline (all you need is a swimsuit) and much colder below (didn't get a reading). My buddy and his wife were doing two tanks, but I only did one. The thermocline really surprised me by being around 40+ feet. We were able to go down the wall and not feel it until almost bottom. It was good for them because they didn't have wetsuits. I had a 3/2 on and it would have been plenty warm if we wanted to go deeper. We maxed out around 45 ft and saw some fish. The zebra mussels are everywhere, but at least the fish are still around. My buddy does most of his diving at Roosevelt lake so him and his wife were amazed by the clarity of Lake Pleasant and even more amazed when i told them it was a low vis day!!!

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom