Diving Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L8NLIFE

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a trip booked with a Key Largo Dive facility. I was going to ask you guy's opinion of the facility, only because I have had a few second thoughts (based only on not so much internet and social media coverage). The reviews I have seen have been mostly good. That said I would like folks that have experience diving the keys to chime in with their experiences good or bad. Don't want to plaster the name of the facility based purely on my ignorance of the area. Thanks in advance for any input.

So do you want a PM to identify the facility? I've dove with a lot of the shops down there over the last 20 years; from technical through recreational so could help.

I've been diving with Florida Keys Dive Center for over 10 years and yes I live in Florida. Great boats and captain.

So do you want a PM to identify the facility? I've dove with a lot of the shops down there over the last 20 years; from technical through recreational so could help.
Sure Thanks

I've dove a few times with John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park. Afternoon 2 tank dive was fantastic. Only 8 of us on the dive boat and that included the captain and 2 dive masters. It's only 3 1/2 4 hours from me so I try and make a day trip at least once a month.

I don't see why you can't post the name of the dive op and members can post their experiences both good and bad.

Anyway I have no clue about which Dive Op you've read mixed reviews, but I've dived with Rainbow Reef and Ocean Divers as recently as last month and I have only good things to say about both of them.

Because they are both larger operations, they've often got trips scheduled when smaller dive Ops are not going out especially in the afternoon. We tried to add an afternoon reef trip with Rainbow reef to our schedule at the last minute when we were there Labor Day weekend and they were full except for one boat that was going to a site we didn't want to see (Christ Statue) so we called about a half dozen other dive Ops who weren't going out at all, presumably because they didn't have enough divers.

I don't know if it is still their policy, but, Ocean Divers used to go out with as few as 2 divers. I'm not sure I've heard other operator's policies, does anyone know of them?

Good experiences with Rainbow Reef, Florida Keys Dive Center/FLAKEY's (technically, Islamorada), Silent World, and whatever the operator that's actually inside John Pennekamp State Park is called. The one inside the state park is the only one that didn't provide snacks. Not a big deal, but there is so little to differentiate dive operators in that area that you have to nitpick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom