Diving Insurance/Local Emergency Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlevine

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I am coming up on the renewal time for my diving insurance. I currently have the PADI-sponsored plan from Vicencia & Buckley and am wondering whether I should stick with it or consider an alternative such as DAN. I do most of my diving away from here (yes, I'm a wimp) but ocassionally want to dive here and want to make sure I am resonably covered with regard to insurance. I noticed that DAN has a 50-mile from home exclusion limit before it covers evacuations. At first, I was concerned about this but I am wondering how a rescue requiring decompression would really take place here. Would it involve an air evacuation or would it typically involve an ambulance? I am trying to balance insurance coverage with reality. As a side note, where are the chambers here in SoCal? I assume DAN and other agencies would cover the chamber charge in any case, but it's the actual evacuation that I'm concerned about. If it helps, I live in South Orange County.

thanks!

I am switching from V&B to Dan in a week when my insurance runs out for a few reasons. One, I have never heard of problems with DAN refusing payment (not that V&B will) and DAN's reputation is outstanding. Two, DAN will even help people without insurance on the phone. They are very friendly and concerned. Three, part of what you pay to DAN goes towards research that helps all of us. Four, V&B's experience is kinda like getting car insurance from Geico or something. Buying through DAN makes me feel like I am buying insurance from actual divers who understand our needs. Just take a look at the DAN web page and you will know what I mean. Hopefully we will never have to use any insurance, but from what I have read, DAN will leave you with no worries. JMHO. Good luck!

It looks like more coverage than Dan for the same price. Does anybody have experience with Dive Assure?

scubadobadoo:
I am switching from V&B to Dan in a week when my insurance runs out for a few reasons. One, I have never heard of problems with DAN refusing payment (not that V&B will) and DAN's reputation is outstanding. Two, DAN will even help people without insurance on the phone. They are very friendly and concerned. Three, part of what you pay to DAN goes towards research that helps all of us. Four, V&B's experience is kinda like getting car insurance from Geico or something. Buying through DAN makes me feel like I am buying insurance from actual divers who understand our needs. Just take a look at the DAN web page and you will know what I mean. Hopefully we will never have to use any insurance, but from what I have read, DAN will leave you with no worries. JMHO. Good luck!

Thanks for your insight. My main concern is whether DAN is adequate for local diving coverage. I am wondering if I am being overly concerned about the 50 mile exclusion for evacuation coverage.

JLevine- I have had the same concern re: the 50-mile exclusion since much of my diving is local here on the island. Never really researched it so I don't have an answer, but I've had situations where buddies needed their DAN insurance and they were great.

Dr. Bill

on this board, so you might want to do a search. There is also something that addresses this point in DAN's most recent magazine. I have just never been satisfied with the wording of DAN's policy; it's just not spelled out the way I'd like to see it. I am a DAN member, but my insurance is with V&B.

I have Dan and used them recently for possible decom sickness. There are a number of chambers located near south county. SOme private doctors in Orange have a chamber, Long beach mem Hospital has a chamber. I had the "privilege" of 2 chamber experiences recently and Dan covered everything.

Dan also did follow up phone calls to check on my progress. Friends of mine have had Dan and also had very positive experiences with them.

Good luck

I am coming up on the renewal time for my diving insurance. I currently have the PADI-sponsored plan from Vicencia & Buckley and am wondering whether I should stick with it or consider an alternative such as DAN. I do most of my diving away from here (yes, I'm a wimp) but ocassionally want to dive here and want to make sure I am resonably covered with regard to insurance. I noticed that DAN has a 50-mile from home exclusion limit before it covers evacuations. At first, I was concerned about this but I am wondering how a rescue requiring decompression would really take place here. Would it involve an air evacuation or would it typically involve an ambulance? I am trying to balance insurance coverage with reality. As a side note, where are the chambers here in SoCal? I assume DAN and other agencies would cover the chamber charge in any case, but it's the actual evacuation that I'm concerned about. If it helps, I live in South Orange County.

thanks![/QUOTE]

I had the same qustion. The most likely scenario I can think of in our local quarry if bent (although I suppose it's not too likely with a 50ft max depth) is an ambulance ride to the local hospital, but then a l-o-n-g transport (at least a couple hours by auto) to a chamber. If I'm reading it right, it's possible that none of the stages of evac would be covered, and transportation for a couple hours with medical supervision can cost several thousand dollars. Does an ambulance ride count as evacuation? If so, it might be better for me to go with PADI to avoid the risk of that cost -- is that right?

kersny:
I have Dan and used them recently for possible decom sickness. There are a number of chambers located near south county. SOme private doctors in Orange have a chamber, Long beach mem Hospital has a chamber. I had the "privilege" of 2 chamber experiences recently and Dan covered everything.

Dan also did follow up phone calls to check on my progress. Friends of mine have had Dan and also had very positive experiences with them.

Good luck

thanks!
[/QUOTE]

jlevine:
Thanks for your insight. My main concern is whether DAN is adequate for local diving coverage. I am wondering if I am being overly concerned about the 50 mile exclusion for evacuation coverage.

Yeah, I realized that but didn't really have the answer despite the fact that even after researching this issue for some time and asking many people both here and locally, I still don't know the answer. I have read and re-read that DAN policy and still can't make sense of the wording. My wife and I are in the process of planning a move to the LA area so this will soon be a concern for us as well. Next stop, email to DAN.... :wink:

My guess is that an ambulance ride while shore diving should be covered but if you were on a boat and had to be picked up by a helicopter then you may have a problem. :06:

jeffinhburg:
I had the same qustion. The most likely scenario I can think of in our local quarry if bent (although I suppose it's not too likely with a 50ft max depth) is an ambulance ride to the local hospital, but then a l-o-n-g transport (at least a couple hours by auto) to a chamber. If I'm reading it right, it's possible that none of the stages of evac would be covered, and transportation for a couple hours with medical supervision can cost several thousand dollars. Does an ambulance ride count as evacuation? If so, it might be better for me to go with PADI to avoid the risk of that cost -- is that right?
[/QUOTE]

Jeff,

Divers can get bent at any depth. I got bent in my rescue class from less than 30.' Like Kernsey, I took two hits in the LB Memorial Chamber. DAN insurance paid 100% of what my primary insurance did not cover. They are great! Like the American Express card, don't leave home without it!

I go to a dive doctor here in Orange County, if you would like his name, PM me and I will forward you the info. He also has a chamber in his office now. Or, call DAN, and they will give you a list of doctors in your area.

Back
Top Bottom