Diving in the Philippines this Dec. Can't decide where to go!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elaine,

My wife, and I, and our two kids who are divers will be in Dumaguete and Puerto Galera and probably Bohol during December and January....haven't been there, but will file report when we get back. Maybe we'll bump into you, or some of the PPD members. I'll have to get a Scuba Board t-shirt to wear ;-)

I know what you are experiencing....so many dive spots make for a tough decision!

Johncn

Hank49:
Shugar, can you describe the diving at Anilao and Puerto Gelara? I've never been there. I'm planning a trip for next year though and we hope to take an 80 foot bangka to Apo Reef and Coron for 10 days or so. Never been there either.
i'll try my best:

the anilao/ PG area are generally known for their coral reefs and small stuff... anilao is generally less hit by currents compared to PG but i think PG has more "world class" sites...

either way both offer diving for every level and persuasion... there is a lot of slope diving meaning dives can start at 5ft and go all the way down 100+...

coral life is generally very good with colorful soft and hard corals and their accompanying wrasses, blennies, clowns, butterflies, idols, angels and anthias...

anilao in particular is nudi heaven... blue ribbon eels are not rare... there are morays of every color and size under every-other-rock... there are rays and puffers swimming around and in some sites a turtle or two...

the anilao/PG are is not really known for its big fish... no clouds of jacks or flights of sharks... but there have been devil ray and whaleshark sightings w/c i hope will be more prevalent...

Overall the best sites in the area - canyons, verde, beatriz, mainit, etc. - can be dived over and over and over again and it will be a different adventure every time...

granted it's not the absolute best diving in the country - but it's pretty near the top after some of the visayas locations...

Jag

MissElaine:
Thanks for both of your tips, esp Jag! Does anyone have any recommendations of dive shops to go with in those resorts?

Cheers again!!

Asia Divers and El Galleon Resort. I was there in May. Nice people and a good operation. If you want to dive a lot that's the place to go. Five scheduled boat dives a day and their own pier. Here's a link for you: http://www.asiadivers.com/ Hope that helps. I've just about decided to go to Malapascua my next trip the end of October (gotta decide by next week). Probably be headed back to Puerto Galera next spring.

bill22:
Asia Divers and El Galleon Resort. I was there in May. Nice people and a good operation. If you want to dive a lot that's the place to go. Five scheduled boat dives a day and their own pier. Here's a link for you: http://www.asiadivers.com/ Hope that helps. I've just about decided to go to Malapascua my next trip the end of October (gotta decide by next week). Probably be headed back to Puerto Galera next spring.

i second asia divers/el galleon top notch operation for puerto galera. i also reco atlantis we've (ppd) used them in the past and they're highly recommended.

for dumaguete most reco atlantis (same atlantis as that at PG). for cabilao la estrella and polaris are usually recommended. i and clgsamson will be diving with polaris on oct 4-7...will try to give you a lowdown.

btw, zeeman (aussie ppd) just left cabilao (polaris) and he had very positive comments on the resort.

Thanks everyone for all your tips! Have contacted Sea Explorers and I think I'm going to go with them since they have shops at the main diving locations in the Visayas. If I have time, I might pop to PG!

Never mind... I already replied here :11doh:

I will add though that I'm thinking of going with Atlantis next time I go to PG... not because I was unhappy with Asia Divers but because they're offering an U/W Photography workshop around the time that I want to go and they also have received top marks from people who have been there.

Otherwise I would probably go with Asia Divers again. If I'm not able to make that trip at the time that I want, then I'll probably go with Asia Divers, mainly because I want to maximize my diving, but also because they will give me a discount because I dived with them before. They have a club plan where you are rewarded for every time you spend money at their resort. The more times you come, the more money you spend, the deeper the discount on your next trip :)

Hi Bill! Thats good to know! I'll bear that in mind since my family are Filipino and I hope to visit them more often!

As an aside question to everyone again, does anyone recommend any good coral/fish/beastie ID guides? I've looked up a few but I want to know if there are any in particular that are better than the rest! Thanks!

I'll recommend two. "Reef Fish Identification-Tropical Pacific" by Gerald Allen; Roger Steene; Paul Humann; and Ned DeLoach and "Asia Pacific Reef Guide" by Helmut Debelius which also has some descriptions for other things you will find on the reef besides fish ;-)

The first probably covers more species of fish, the second has better variety. If I could only pick one, it would be the second one. Just my opinion, I'm sure others have their own favorites and good reasons for why they are :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom