Diving in Thailand vs Vietnam???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thailand best dive schools location are mostly located on Koh tao and in Phuket (Koh tao might be a better choice for new divers learning to dive while Phuket has more vibrant and more interesting aquatic life forms)

Giving that Koh tao is regarded by some divers as a dive factory( 60 schools?) - this might be beneficial to you as a new leaner as the competition on the island is very high, every dive school want customers for themselves therefore they will try to employ better instructors for their schools.

[i am heading there in June - i can scout the place 4 you:yeahbaby:]

156 dives around Koh Tao so far. if you are going in July, keep in mind that the water might not be clear ( low visibility ) - monsoon season. Take a raincoat with you!!!!!

(i might be naturally bias toward Crystal due to the no. of dive i have with them)

Some of the best school/dive ops on Koh Tao:
(Sairee beach) Daves Jone Locker (DJL) (Well-known tech dive ops that also teach Padi OW),
(Mae haad beach) Master diver (A Reputable dive school, used to be a part of Crystal Dive - located close to the pier - i have heard that they have(had?) some of the best tech instructors on the island )
(Mae haad beach) Crystal Dive (Well-known 5 stars dive op, I dive with them all the time - located very close to the pier).

Other notable dive ops:
(Sairee beach) Ban - biggest dive school on the island
(sairee beach) Sairee cottage diving.

i would recommend Ash (Asha Tanna) as your instructor, she was a great instructor and a great fun buddy.

Why i mention tech/tek so much here? Because tech divers usually have higher standard than recreational divers due to their limited error margins that can be made during diving.

Useful info
Mae haad - this is where the pier is located, also where most(all?) dive school big dive boats and the ferries will "park" here- dive school far way from the pier will use trucks to transport you guys to the piers .Basically, centre of the town.

Sairee beach - great night life(if you want some), lot of bars and restaurants. paddle board can be rented there.

Motorbike can be rented - polices are pretty chill over there - hills are steep(take care)

Koh tao has some great view points (if you want to hike) - no spoilers

If you want to taste Real Thai food - i would recommend you to head over to a small Thai food vendor next to Aquamaster in Mae Haad, and if want some great burgers, then head over to the shop opposite Aquamaster in Mae Haad
map.gif

Back
Top Bottom