Diving in Thailand vs Vietnam???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering if I could get some advice on whether I should go diving in either Thailand or Vietnam?

I'm completely new to diving and have no experience, but it has been on my bucket list for a while. I'm travelling around Thailand and Vietnam between mid June to early august, which has given me a great opportunity to learn to dive. I'm hoping to do a PADI open water diving course in mid July (14th-20th), and I have the option off doing it in either Thailand or Vietnam.

Any advice on where I should try and do the course in either of these locations would be great, and any other advice for a new diver starting in these locations would be good as-well.

Many thanks

Ask in regional forums. Though doesn't seem to be one for Vietnam, there's just "Asia". There is one for Thailand. Ask to recommend dive ops, quality may vary.

The standard advice is to get at least your class and pool work at home and only do the "test" OW dives on the trip. This way you get more time to enjoy the dives out there, as opposed to doing skills and drills.

Welcome to SB.

I was holidaying in Hoi An late last year and took my scuba gear just to put a tick in the Vietnam box. Weather turned against me so I bailed on that plan. There are a couple of dive/excursion shops in Hoi An.

From the researching I did on SB re Vietnam, Thailand has a lot more opportunities and locations to learn. I'l put the research effort towards Thailand and finding an instructor that comes with a good reputation.

Best bet in June is probably Koh Tao for scuba.

I agree with @chillyinCanada . Besides the weather, there's more competition on Koh Tao so you're likely to get better pricing and choice of instructor.

Another vote for Koh Tao at that time of year. I always reccomend Master Divers but in honesty all the shops there are good. It's basically a scuba diving factory there.

If you are about to start scuba diving, everything underwater is beautiful.

Vietnam east coast (Na Trang): cooler waters (22 degrees), smaller biodiversity. The scars of years of dynamite fishing...
Vietnam west coast (Phu Quoc): seasonal, warmer waters. Richer biodiversity.
Thailand east coast (Gulf of Thailand): 29 degrees year round, easy diving. Koh Tao is perfect for OW and AOW.
Thailand west coast (Andaman Sea): biodiversity great around the islands, can have currents. Great for fundives.

thanks everyone for the replies really helpful, it looks like Koh Tao is my best bet so ill have to put some research into that

Another vote for Koh Tao at that time of year. I always reccomend Master Divers but in honesty all the shops there are good. It's basically a scuba diving factory there.
+1 for Master Divers. Not the cheapest, but I was impressed with their safety attitude. Dived with them 4 times over the years.

Back
Top Bottom