Diving in Taganga - Colombia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

douglassteve

Reaction score
Hello,

I just want to let you know some of my expereince about the diving in Taganga.
I am a certified rescue diver with more than 360 dives and I was diving in lot´s of countries and different shops, so I think I can give you a good idea about the diving there.
Like anyone I heard a lot of diferent stories before I arrived in Taganga, but it is always better to check it out myself.
The day before I went diving i start to check out the diferent dive shops in the area.
A big surprise was that most of the shops use fins with shoes, for rental equipment unusual. The equipments are mostly in good conditions, but im some shops they look poor and very old.
The westsuits they use are 3/2 mm longones, but take care, some even don´t have 1mm anymore.
Not every shop could show me that they have an working Oxygen Kit, normally a must in case of emergencies.
Also make sure that if you don´t speak spanish that you will go with an english speaking guide.
By the end of the day only 2 shops been left to choose from, Aquants or Poseidon.
Both are very professional, but there are some differencies and therefore I deceided to go with Poseidon.
They have brandnew 5mm, long wetsuits, and first of all I thought that is a joke, I am in the Carribean, the water is not cold. When we went out for the dives, I understood why 5mm, man, the water was cold, 24°, you don´t beleive it but with the thin wetsuits you will freeze like hell.
The 2nd reason was that at Poseidon they gave me Dive computer which was included into the price.
3rd reason: They do air checks on the compressor, I saw some in other shops which don´t look very trustfully.
4rd reason: I could pay with cc
The dive itself was amazing: I saw a Batfish, i just saw 2 in all my dives, squids, a turtle and really big brain coral formations.
Both dives last more than 50 min and we went up when I came low on air.
I paid 130.000 Pesos for the two dives + 6% with cc and they took a copy of my passport ( because tourists are free of sales tax which is 16%. )
I liked the diving and I don´t understand why the diving in Taganga is that cheap, if you see what they offer.
hope this helpes other divers to have a good time underwater in Taganga.

Cheers
Steve

Nice report, but check carefully, there is one link very interesting:
highseasdrifter in blogspot, you can google it or Escapades of a Travelling diver.
Diving is fun but you have to do it with professionals.

Good luck

I just returned from a week in Taganga diving with my dive buddy, my daughter Ellie. I went diving with Poseidon Dive Center, this is a PADI Instructor Development Center, so they teach pros. The staff was all very professional, the equipment was top quality, they have a large covered boat, good for a long cruise in the tropical sun. I am a PADI Master Scuba Diver and Ellie completed her Rescue Diver Course. I highly recommend Poseidon. In addition, accommodations are inexpensive, the restaurants are simple but of high quality. The diving was awesome, drift, deep, night and beautiful coral, flora and fauna. Dives last as long as you've got air and the very able boat captain follows the bubbles. Beautiful sites.

I was there in 2007, they use crazy diving standars!
I dont remember the name of the school, but when we were diving they were looking for us just driving their boat back and forth on the surface right above us.

Very nice place but no rules at all.

Back
Top Bottom