Diving in SoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan

Knight Scublar
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to be spending the week immediately following Thanksgiving (Nov 27 - Dec 3) in the San Diego area.. specifically, Vista.

Does anyone have any recommendations for inexpensive boats? Cheaper is definitely better. I'd like to do a two tank dive, just an afternoon.

What are the water temps like that time of year? Might a 3mm jumpsuit suffice or should I bring along the drysuit?

Agree with Kelp about the recommendation for divebums, and the only thing I would add is that being so far north (Vista is in far north San Diego county), driving to San Pedro and taking a boat to Catalina is also an option.

Alan

agstreet once bubbled...
Agree with Kelp about the recommendation for divebums, and the only thing I would add is that being so far north (Vista is in far north San Diego county), driving to San Pedro and taking a boat to Catalina is also an option.

Alan

I'll have a rental car with unlimited mileage and all day. Driving along the Pacific Coast Highway with the windows rolled down in November in San Diego shouldn't be a horrible experience :)

If you have something in between the 3mm & drysuit, that might work better, but I definitely would NOT rely on the 3mm... too cold. If you're going to be in the San Diego area, why not just take the plunge & dive the Yukon? I've heard that it's a really neat dive. Otherwise, I would agree with the recommendation to take a boat to Catalina. If you go to www.saintbrendan.com & click on California Diving News, there is a link to boat schedules under the heading California Scuba Calendar that might be helpful to you. Hope this helps...

JP

Water temps should be some where in the 50s, as in low 50s that time of year. Normal for So Cal is 7mm wetsuit and when it gets down near 52 or so, some of us less insublated folks add a Spring suit over that.

DiverJP once bubbled...
If you have something in between the 3mm & drysuit, that might work better, but I definitely would NOT rely on the 3mm... too cold. If you're going to be in the San Diego area, why not just take the plunge & dive the Yukon? I've heard that it's a really neat dive. Otherwise, I would agree with the recommendation to take a boat to Catalina. If you go to www.saintbrendan.com & click on California Diving News, there is a link to boat schedules under the heading California Scuba Calendar that might be helpful to you. Hope this helps...

JP

California Diving News is an advertiser supported publication. The only organizations listed are those that have paid to be in it, and as it covers all of Southern Califorina, it's not as focused on San Diego as the Divebums site (which is the labor of love of one guy, and no one pays anything to be there). www.diver.net has a listing of all the California dive boats (as well as one of the most censored boards in CA - shades of SB in the future?) if you need to find dive boats running out of San Pedro for a Catalina trip.

The Yukon may or may not be a good destination, depending on a person's skill level and what kind of diving they find enjoyable. It's a fun wreck, albiet somewhat of a jungle gym, but it's somewhat deep, kinda cold, and the visibility often sucks. It's more fun as a penetration, but most people really aren't qualified to do more than a superficial penetration. Personally, I'd avoid recommending things I "hear is a neat dive" if I don't have personal experience with the dive site. As for SD dive destinations, if a person only had one day to dive out of SD and I didn't know anything about their skill level, I'd recommend the Coronados Islands. The visibility is generally better there than closer to shore, the diving ranges from easy to slightly challenging, and there are usually sea lions that will use you as play toys (remember, you don't play with them, they play with *you*).

An interesting characteristic of San Diego waters is that it's colder at depth in the summer than it is in the winter. In the summer the water stratifies more, with a much more pronounced thermocline. Surface temperatures can climb into the low 70s, but bottom temps can actually dip into the high 40s. In the winter the water tends to mix more, so the surface temps drop the low 60s, but at depth it's usually in the mid 50s. I personally wear a one piece 7mm wetsuit, which I've found to be barely sufficient in the winter and insufficient in the summer (a hooded vest or 3mm shorty helps). Most people find a two piece 7mm to be adequate, but it seems that the more a person dives here, the more likely they are to own a drysuit (which I now do).

Drysuit??

Ya wimps! *wink*

Wetsuits! The wetter, the better!

Geez... I guess I must have some of that subcutaneous insulation since I've dived in my 3mm shortie as late as Dec on Catalina. Some people say "you've got a lot of nerve," but in my case I think it's due to the fact that I have no nerves at all to communicate the cold to my brain!

Bottom temps on Catalina last weekend were in the mid-50's at 60-70 ft. A bit cold in my shortie- feels like winter already. Above the thermocline (~40-50 ft) temps were much nicer and the shortie was fine.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom