diving in Sipadan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5 days trip
1st and last day we did not dive
we were promised 1 trip to Sipadan
We were offered 2 additional day. We took 1 and the last day we dove Mabul
Sipadan was more then excellent
Mabul was simply incredible.
I definitely will return to Borneo Diver Resort
Incredible group of staffs and the owner operator is simply a walking library.
They bring divings to the most simplistic form. Diving for the joy of it rather then simply saying being there done it.

Is a trip 1, 2 or 3 dives?
All that way and only 2 days diving at Sipadan.
I would definitly have taken them up on all 3 and stayed a few days extra if I wanted to dive Mabul.
Sipadan is in the medium term plans. This trip back to Perhentian.

From Kapalai the format was 4 dives per day if you go to Sipadan. They have early times for their permits so we left at 5:30AM. You return to Kapalai after the 4th dive at 1:30 to 2PM. Between dives you stop at the actual island of Sipadan for a snack, breakfast, lunch and or washroom break.

When diving non Sipadan days we would get 3 dives per day and return to the resort between each dive. There is unlimited diving from the resort Jetty (which was terrific) so there is plenty of time to have a 4th or possibly 5th dive on the non Sipadan Days.

If you are considering Layang Layang vs. Sipadan I think you will enjoy the diving much more in Sipadan. The variety of macro and wide angle between Mabul, Sipadan, SiAmil, and Kapalai is awesome! Sipadan Water Village is awesome!!!!!

Yes, there has been new updates and warnings for security in Sabah, very close to the southern Philippines. Personally, I don't let it stop me, I've been there twice in the past two years.

Feel free to email me personally if you'd like more info

If you are considering Layang Layang vs. Sipadan I think you will enjoy the diving much more in Sipadan. The variety of macro and wide angle between Mabul, Sipadan, SiAmil, and Kapalai is awesome! Sipadan Water Village is awesome!!!!!

Yes, there has been new updates and warnings for security in Sabah, very close to the southern Philippines. Personally, I don't let it stop me, I've been there twice in the past two years.

Feel free to email me personally if you'd like more info

The embassies issue these warnings seasonally every year and have done so since 2000. It didn't help there was the wage squabble at that seaweed farm and the "kidnapping" of the two owners of the farm by their "local" staff...but it has nothing to do with the Abu Syaff in Southern Mindanao nor a threat to the diving community.

The Malaysian Navy appear to have their "****" together this time around and I have no reason to be worried in the number of times over the last 10 years I have been back to sipadan, post-kidnapping era.

The vast majority of people who hype up the issue have never even been out to Sabah, what more Mabul or Sipadan so you know they don't understand very much about the people, the area or Sabah.

can anyone please tell me the best months for diving Sipadan?
thanks
Adam

the general rule is you can dive all year round but i think the sea gets choppy from july-oct i think someone will have to verify that.. i dont know what months are best for all round vis and sightings of barracuda, bumpheads and jacks etc

i saw everything i 'expected' to see in the 1st week of june but the vis wasn't great. eagle rays, barracuds vortex, loads of jacks, big school of bumpheads and loads of nice macro- bluering, flamboyant cuttlefish and loads of nudis...

i would also like to know how the diving season is working at the moment in sipadan.. really wanna go back.

The Sipadan diving season is year round and most normally expressed as having the best conditions between April and December, especially July and August. The rainy season tends to be between January and March where unsettled weather may result in a decrease in visibility, however in recent years however the timing of the rainy season has been less than certain.

Hi All,

Am a new member and wanted to get opinions on where's best to stay around sipidan? We're doing a 6 day trip with friends and are looking at Borneo Diver Mabul Resort. Has anyone stayed here before? Have heard conflicting reports about standard of equipment and also preferential treatment to big groups or package tours when it comes to Sipidan permits. Also, we';re going in mid September and have been told that the viz around some of the nearby areas like mabul, Kapalai, etc can be a little hit and miss? have also looked at the Kapalai dive resort so interested if anyone has been here as well?

Back
Top Bottom