diving in Sipadan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have a look at our trip report on Borneo Divers. You should not have less visibility during September, although tropical weather can be unpredictable.

Borneo Divers offer great value for money and are very professional, I have not heard of any issues with their rental equipment.

What's the water temp in late July? Trying to decide what to buy/bring in the way of exposure protection. Looking forward to leaving my 6mm at home..

Personally, I would leave the 6mm suit at home and either rent/buy a 3mm shortie as I don't feel the cold too much. Water temp should be between 28-30 degrees.

I think that a 1mm dive skin is sufficient for diving in Malaysia.
Personally I recommend taking 2 with you as then you don't have to get into a wet dive skin, always an unpleasent experience. They take up very little room and dry quickly, usefull for wrapping around all your delicate gear.

I dive with a t-shirt and lycra pants, but that's just me. I am not diving to impress anyone by trying to look "professional." I dive and want to be as comfortable as possible.

Do dive with gloves and booties.

I dove with my 7mm, other folks dove in swim trunks.

Hey Hoot! I had a great time in Borneo and enjoyed seeing Kuala Lumpur as well. KL had the best people watching ever. Thanks so much for all your suggestions! You live in KK?

Shivaya

I dove with my 7mm, other folks dove in swim trunks.

Hey Hoot! I had a great time in Borneo and enjoyed seeing Kuala Lumpur as well. KL had the best people watching ever. Thanks so much for all your suggestions! You live in KK?

Shivaya

I agree KL is an interesting place for people watching. Go down to the Indian quarter, eat from the street stalls, down to the chinese markets, always remember to haggle, don't pay more than 1/2 the initial asking price and watch out for pick pockets.

A 7mm too warm, I sometimes find that the water in Malaysia is almost uncomforatably for swimming but it feels a lot cooler after an hour or so underwater, and more so on the speedboat run back.
I find it helps a lot to peel off the top half and dry off with a chamois towel. A short haircut drys very quickly, that and a hat stops the head getting cold. If the boat has no sun shade then a wet hat to keep the head cool on the way out to the dive site.

I have not made it over to the Borneo side yet, hopefully later this year. :D

Personally, I would leave the 6mm suit at home and either rent/buy a 3mm shortie as I don't feel the cold too much. Water temp should be between 28-30 degrees.

(Back from Sipadan now)
I rented a full length 3mm after the first dive because I was scratching my legs up too much. There's some nasty stinging plants to be careful of too. I was plenty warm enough in that suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom