diving in singapore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
might head here soon , are there any nice dive spots in singapore or do you have to go to malaysia for this?

I don't think their are any spots to dive from in Singapore. You are looking at one of the busiest waterways on the world. You used to be able to do some diving from Batam, Indonesia (10km from Sing), but I am not sure if that is still available. I think it was more on the line of swimming/diving with dolphins.

However, Singapore is still a nice place to visit.

I have been living in Sin for nearly 2 yrs and the only dive sites well know are Palau Hantu & Salu. Vis is less than 5m and sometimes I can't even see my buddy even though he is next to me.

I dun think dives are nice as u will see yourself encircled by industrial buildings and u can imagine what's down there...

Nevertheless, there're surprisingly a lot of nudibranches & flatworms. If u r a freak for macro then u can consider that. There's a main group of UW photographers and U can check the underwater session of the forum: www.clubsnap.com

If u have time over the weekend, better try the nearest Malaysia site like Aur, Dayang & Tioman. Vis is around 10-15m. Personally I like Tioman as one time I decended between 2 schools of barracudas and saw many blue spotted stingray. There's also a small school of bumphead parrot fish living there. Corals are quite nice. U can pm me if u want names of dive operators.

It funny how I just found this thread, after having just talked to a family friend about the same topic.
She said the good dive sites are all in malaysia, since the areas around singamore is so dirty due to all the water traffics. She would rather spend a little bit of money and head out to the nearby islands to dive.

In terms of distance, Pulau Tioman and Pulau Aur in Malaysia will be closest to Singapore. These islands offerred reasonably alright divings - about 3 to 4 hours by bus to the jetty follow by boat transfer

If you don't mind travelling, further up north you will have Pulau Redang, Pulau Perhentian, Pulau Tenggol etc - about 9 to 10 hours by bus.

You do have the options of flying though...

Singapore's water is full of sediments from the reclaimation of the nearby islands.But i heard that the vist used to be like Tioman and Aur standard a few years back.Bad vist=good place for navigation practices.Go and dive in pulau Huntu and you will appreciate the rest of the places you dive in.
But like they say,if you want a good place to dive,head up to Malaysia.

I've only gone to P. hantu once and the vis was as bad as folks told me (about 0.5m to 2m)... however I still want to try to dive there again. There are many different types of nudibranch and flatworms, a supposedly resident octopus and some interesting shrimps. The view around isn't great (the dive site faces a refinery) but at least it is far from the bustling, hectic city.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom