Diving in Rocky Point?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffbsm85:
Think it would be a good first certified dive??
I have no idea since I've never dove there. If they do Discover Scuba there as you say, I would imagine it has to be pretty tame. But then again there are always stories of dive ops doing stupid stuff with inexperienced divers and discover scuba divers so I couldn't say. Hopefully somebody who's dove there will chime in. You may want to check the Mexico forum as well, perhaps you can get a recommendation on a dive op & private dm if that's the way you want to go. If your actually planning a trip; might want to consider driving a couple more hours to San Carlos.

-Garrett

I have been diving in Rocky Point many times and would consider it a very small step up from the local lakes. It is an easy dive as others have pointed out for new divers and is worth the drive as long as you expectations are not high. Bird Island is home to a colony of friendly sea lions (I've never seen or heard of sharks in the area) and can be a fun drift dive if you are there at the right time.

Vina del Mar is the best place for shore diving but it is a very rocky entrance and can beat you senseless if you don't time the tides correctly. The end of Sandy Beach closest to Completion Hill and Playa Mira Mar can both be fun as long as you watch the currents. Jet skiers can be rather self absorbed so I would highly recommend an inflatable dive flag.

Melissa

We shore dive off the beach(rocks) in front of Playa Mira Mar trailer park. Thats where I usually stay when I go there. In May their tearing it up for a new 19 story condo. After that, we'll probably stay at the trailer park down the street, it has a better boat ramp and decent diving. I drag my house trailer down and don't usually have to go anywhere else as there is food & drinks a plenty in walking distance.

To answer an other question, no there are not any sharks at Bird Island, thats why there are so many sealions:) If the sharks ever figure it out, they'll have plenty to eat. I'm not overly impressed with the only dive shop, so I usually bring everything I need. I have gotten air fills without a problem.

Its a very good newly certified dive site. Tides are very extreme here, I've seen huge changes between high & low. This can cause some current, usually its not so strong that you can't swim against it. I think there are 2 outfits doing charters, Hammer Scuba and Lobo Del Mar. I've been on Hammer's boat, but its a little pricey. He charges $700 for the boat, so you'll need to have at least 6 divers. I think he can only take 6 or 7. Don't have experience with the other, they recently changed owners and weren't doing trips for a while. They may be back in operation now.
Anyone thats interested can join us next time we go. Probably 2nd weekend in Feb., the 10 & 11.

I'll be going down March 22-25 if anyone is ganna be down there around that time!! I think I might just rent gear here and do some shore diving, unless I can find a cheap boat ride out to Bird Island!! If anyone has any links or phone numbers, that'd be mighty helpful!

Dale and Melissa, thanks for the info. I'll probably take a little trip down there sometime in February or March and check out the 2 shore sites.

Of course. I'm thinking about possibly heading down on a weekday to avoid the crowds. It won't be a Monday, though. Or we may just head down on a weekend. Either way, I'll let you know and we can ride down together if you want. I've got Mexican auto insurance on the van.

shark.byte.usa:
Rob let me know when you go down there, I may join you.

I'd be interested in going as well, but it would have to be a weekend. The day job puts a dent in my plans.:(

Maybe we'll head down the 2nd weekend of March then, the 10th/11th? Anyone else interested?

We have a class scheduled to be there that weekend, so I'll plan on it.

Back
Top Bottom