Diving in NJ as a visitor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jborg

Green Water Diver
ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all! So I'm Swedish and do most of my diving around here - drysuit, doubles, bad viz, the usual cold water stuff. It so happens I now work for a company that has their head office in New Jersey and I visit now and then. It'd be cool to take an extra day or two some time and do some diving, but I'm not sure how, or if that's doable. It looks (from reading a few threads here) like the scene in NJ is kinda like the scene here; local divers who all know each other and have all their gear hop on the boat, which is mostly just a taxi, do their thing, get picked up, and go home. None of the tropical resort style stuff. Is there some shop that would rent a drysuit and bp/w to an outsider, and would there be someone to join on a dive? I've never actually rented a drysuit anywhere before, so I'm not even sure it's a good idea, but I don't think I'd want to bring all my stuff just for a single dive or two at the tail end of a work week... Or actually, thinking more about it, maybe that's actually the best way to do it...

Where in New Jersey? It's a big place. This shop is good but way south:

Hanover, specifically.

Hey all! So I'm Swedish and do most of my diving around here - drysuit, doubles, bad viz, the usual cold water stuff. It so happens I now work for a company that has their head office in New Jersey and I visit now and then. It'd be cool to take an extra day or two some time and do some diving, but I'm not sure how, or if that's doable. It looks (from reading a few threads here) like the scene in NJ is kinda like the scene here; local divers who all know each other and have all their gear hop on the boat, which is mostly just a taxi, do their thing, get picked up, and go home. None of the tropical resort style stuff. Is there some shop that would rent a drysuit and bp/w to an outsider, and would there be someone to join on a dive? I've never actually rented a drysuit anywhere before, so I'm not even sure it's a good idea, but I don't think I'd want to bring all my stuff just for a single dive or two at the tail end of a work week... Or actually, thinking more about it, maybe that's actually the best way to do it...
There are about a half dozen scuba diving boats open to the public in coastal NJ. Try njscuba.net for details as their schedules are changeable and diving them requires reservations. Most are more than just taxis, with carefully planned dives. There are large dive shops listed that can answer your questions about rentals as well as other details. At this point the Ocean water temps are about 19c and will rise to near 23c by the summer. Of course, that is above the thermocline. Still, lots of us dive with standard wetsuits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom