Diving in Lima Peru

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericg753

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm heading to Lima in 3 weeks and was curious if anyone on this board has dived in Lima? 3 companies I am currently looking into are Spondylus Divers, Naylamp and Peru Divers.

I checked the first 2 shops websites and all 3 shops YouTube videos, the diving itself looks decent and saw some octopus, a kelp forest, sea lions and a couple of other things I haven't seen yet and think this may be worth doing 2 or 3 days of morning dives.

My issue is with the dive boats - they are the size of dinghies which, to me, looks very uncomfortable as I am a big guy in my 40's. I don't want to sound spoiled but I am used to the dive boats used in the states, most of my dives in Florida, not these small dinghies. Once I'm in the water I'll be fine, the issue is throwing on your wetsuit, setting up your gear, putting on your gear, in this small boat.

Has this been a concern for anyone else? Or am I really just making more of this than I need to?

Hi

Typically when diving from a small RIB you will have your wetsuit on before getting in the boat and your gear set-up. At site its just a matter of donning weight belt, tank, mask fins and then rolling over the side :)

It looks like there main dives are not that far off shore so fairly short ride in the little boat.

The sea conditions shown in the video look good, if it was rough then it would not be comfortable, and the final gear-up more challenging.

upload_2017-1-24_8-19-30.png

Thanks TBar, I wasn't sure judging by the pile of the equipment in the front of the RIB if the equipment (BC, tank and weights) were already set up or not. I saw some other vids that say the ocean in Peru doesn't really get rough. So as long as I can don my wetsuit and set up my stuff BEFORE climbing in, then just worry about fins and mask, I should be good to go. I also saw Spondylus does shore dives which makes things easy.

The boats are small. you wouldn't want to put your wetsuit on before you get to the Dive site. You will be too hot. you are gonna need a 7 mill wetsuit or a drysuit. the water is cold. the ocean isn't too rough, so it's not a bad ride depending on where you go. do you know where you will be going to dive? All the dive ops are pretty No-Frills. You will be carrying your own gear picking it up in one place bring it to another dive. Diving in peru was a long day alot of work and we'll worth it. Let me know who you decide to dive with.

The boats are small. you wouldn't want to put your wetsuit on before you get to the Dive site. You will be too hot. you are gonna need a 7 mill wetsuit or a drysuit. the water is cold. the ocean isn't too rough, so it's not a bad ride depending on where you go. do you know where you will be going to dive? All the dive ops are pretty No-Frills. You will be carrying your own gear picking it up in one place bring it to another dive. Diving in peru was a long day alot of work and we'll worth it. Let me know who you decide to dive with.

Thanks Ripman.....thinking carefully about this and reviewing the dive ops pictures and videos, I am not going to do the boat dives. The typical Peruvian man is approx 5'5-5'7 and 165 to 175 lbs. I am going to be way too uncomfortable maneuvering around this small boat, and the last thing I want is to be uncomfortable and annoyed on what is supposed to be a relaxing dive. I WILL, however, do shore dives should they offer them.

I second Pisco Sours and the food. Please share your experience when you get back. I plan on diving in Lima and Mancora around Christmas time.
KS will do - I was born in Peru but grew up in the US my entire life. I have family there so bringing mine to visit again, this will be my first year diving in Peru. I am hoping the shore dives will be similar to Blue Heron Bridge in Florida, which judging by the videos that's what it seems like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom