Diving in Iceland?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove in Iceland 25 years ago. It was great.

I wish I took up diving before I visited Iceland in 2009. Ironic thing is, it was mainly my snorkelling in Silfra that made me go for my Padi courses later that yr.

My wife and I dove Silfra last November. A couple of pics and a quick video are up at takephotosleavebubbles.blogspot.com

We are only relatively new dives and it was our first Dry Suit dive. The team at dive.is looked after us very well. Quick runthrough on the how-to with the dry suit, but just took it slow and stayed above 18M.

Visibility on the day was "bad" at 30 - 40M. Apparently it's not unheard of for 100M++

So keen to go back (with the soon to be purchased dSLR underwater rig) and definitely want to try it in summer for a midnight dive as they do up to 3 or 4 dives a day since they get 24 hrs of sunlight.

I can HIGHLY recommend this dive to anyone that might be up for something a bit different.

I've just booked a dive at Silfra in November with dive.is and couldn't be more excited about it. Like ogtool I'm new to diving and unless I need a drysuit for some dives in October, it'll be my first drysuit dive as well, and I've included getting the PADI Drysuit qualification in the dive. I'll be taking a mask based Contour GPS HD camera so I've got my fingers crossed for the 100m+ visibility!

Did two dives there two years ago in November. Water temp 34 degrees air temp 28... If they offer hot chocolate take it.

The dives themselves were really cool. Most of the dive is really shallow unless you drop down to the caves at 140ft right at the start of the dive... Don't do that though. Water is super clear and drinkable, so if you get thirsty on your dive, take a swig.

Enjoy and make sure you check out the rest of the park while you are there. If you can swing a glacier hike in also I would highly recommend that. Try the puffin, try the whale and try the lamb hot dogs. Brennivin is evil and don't even take a taste of opal.

The English pub was my favorite place to hang out, they have the wheel of drinks which If you are lucky can save you alot of money.

Enjoy your trip. Eg er Ekki fatur. (that's the only thing I remember how to write in Icelandic.)

I think I'll try to avoid the 140ft just for the time being, I'm still extremely wet behind the ears! It's actually my third trip to Iceland as I fell in love with the country on my first trip there in 2006. I've doen all but the north of the country and it'll be my third visit to Thingvellir.... and the first diving into it. Covered the glaciers with an amazing snowmobile trip complete with blizzards!

I'll have to track down the English Pub (is it just called that?) as the only real expense with a trip to Iceland is the food and drink - so that's a welcome recommendation ffdiver!

Brennivin is indeed evil - but it does the trick of removing the taste of the "delicacy" of rotten shark! I've still got some from my last trip. Opal... well, if the tag line for the brand is "so that's what poison tastes like" doesn't convince you that consumption is a massively bad idea nothing will. I still bought some though! Fortunately one of my friends like it (great when you have a cold apparently) so gladly took it off me.

Thoroughly looking forward to it though... and the hot chocolate!

I fell in love with the country also, I have never taken so many pictures in my life.

Yeah the english pub is right down the road from the center where hollabotar (sp). Get me a pepperoni boat while you are there. It should fit in a USPS priority box...haha.

60386394-92ab-d87c.jpg

60386394-92c6-68d4.jpg

60386394-92e7-760a.jpg

I know what you mean about photographs! I took a massive amount, but then I was there to try and break myself into the world of DSLRs. I'll see what I can do about the pepperoni boat! :D

You should try to get a beach dive in VIK. should be cool past the wave breaks.

Sadly that will have to wait until next time (as there definitely will be a next time) as it's only a 3 night break, and only two full days. Full day one is the Silfra dive, the second I'll be taking a 4x4 down along the south coast to get some more photography done. But it's on the list for the next time!

Back
Top Bottom