Diving Silfra Fissure in Iceland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Submerged_Stories

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently went diving at Silfra fissure between the tectonic plates while on a trip to Iceland. It's a really spectacular site. Beautiful rock formations, clear water, and surrounded by mountains.

But I have to admit I was a bit surprised at how touristy it felt. While you need to be drysuit certified to dive, which limits the SCUBA crowd, there are multiple operators that take dozens (hundreds?) or snorkelers a day. So the site is quite busy and the parking lot is full of people. That got me thinking about how this dive site in such a random and cold-water spot has become so popular when you don't see people lining up to go cold water diving almost anywhere else? Yes, you are diving between tectonic plates but its maybe not as clear-cut as the marketing copy would have you believe.

Anyways, I put together this video with my footage to showcase the dive itself but also to talk about this stuff around the attraction. I hope you like it and find it interesting and that I'm not waffling on too much.

If you've dove Silfra what did you think about the instagram vs. reality aspect of it, so to speak?

If you thought the water scene was busy, I'm sure you saw the mob of topside tourists as well. The tectonic plate juncture at Thingvellir, Iceland is one of the top tourist attractions in Iceland, not only because of its geological significance, but it an easy day trip from Reykjavik.

Excellent video and commentary. Thank you.

While you need to be drysuit certified to dive, which limits the SCUBA crowd...

That's interesting, a lot of British and possibly other northern Europeans will be highly competent drysuit divers, but hold no certification.

I visited Iceland. It was great, but I was a student at the time and the diving was too expensive for me.

@Altamira thank you for the kind words and yes, the water scene was super busy. That whole golden circle tour was very crowded. Would like to go back and explore further north. I think there are some interesting thermal dive sites further up on the ring road

@MB NZ I misspoke. I think it was certification or there was an exception if you could provide X logged drysuit dives in the past Y months or something like that.

I did it a few years ago in January. We suited up in a snow storm. There was a gal from Australia who had just got her OW certificate and knew nothing of dry suits. The DM suited her up, gave a dry suit introduction, and off we went with the DM holding her hand. She was cute.

Now, that dive is fun, but if you really want an amazing experience in Iceland, go over X-mas and New Years. The celebrations are intense with real fireworks shooting into the air over all of Reykjavik for days creating difficult to breath air and noisy nights for sleeping. That's a celebration to remember!

I recently went diving at Silfra fissure between the tectonic plates while on a trip to Iceland. It's a really spectacular site. Beautiful rock formations, clear water, and surrounded by mountains.

But I have to admit I was a bit surprised at how touristy it felt. While you need to be drysuit certified to dive, which limits the SCUBA crowd, there are multiple operators that take dozens (hundreds?) or snorkelers a day. So the site is quite busy and the parking lot is full of people. That got me thinking about how this dive site in such a random and cold-water spot has become so popular when you don't see people lining up to go cold water diving almost anywhere else? Yes, you are diving between tectonic plates but its maybe not as clear-cut as the marketing copy would have you believe.

Anyways, I put together this video with my footage to showcase the dive itself but also to talk about this stuff around the attraction. I hope you like it and find it interesting and that I'm not waffling on too much.

If you've dove Silfra what did you think about the instagram vs. reality aspect of it, so to speak?

I know. I went in August but they cancelled my cert class in flight which didn't make much sense. It seemed such a rush to get in and out due to the crowds. The views of the volcanoes was interesting along the way. I am making it my business to go back next year but am going to get certified in the US before I actually go. Although I didn't get to scuba dive it was still amazing. It is probably better to rent a car and just meet at the site as appose to taking the bus along with the other divers. Better preparation next time!

@wordizbon that's a great idea. I would definitely recommend getting certified in the U.S. and a bit of practice in a drysuit before going back.

@Vivoazzurro there is very little life. The water is crystal clear run-off from a glacier but that also means it's very nutrient lite so you don't get a ton of species. There is a however, a lot of algae! Seriously though a lot of the rocks have a thin film of green algae and it is the primary source of biodiversity in Silfra. Kinda neat in its own way, But this is mostly a "wet rocks" dive and about the uniqueness of the location.

Thank you for the information on Silfra fissure. Always good to have the information up front so expectations are set appropriately. Still plan to dive the site since it is one of several I have put on my bucket list for dry suit diving. I was more interested in just diving between the tectonic plates than touching both at the same time and diving in Iceland. Hoping to use sites in Lake Huron and Scapa Flow in Scotland as preparations for this event.
Thunder Bay near Alpena, MI - Lake Huron
Scapa Flow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom