Diving in cold water - does your head freeze?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did any of you got sick at any time from diving in the cold?

When you live in the lands of colds that come and go frequently for many months, a more pertinent question is "do you dive when you have a cold?"

I do, but I dive the shallows [<30'] in the winter, and yes I do take decongestants a little before the dive so that I can equalize my ears. I don't do a second dive so the meds don't have time to wear off and be an issue as far as reverse squeeze or whatever you call it......though there may be other ramifications from certain decongestants.

I get ice cream headache when the temp hits about low 50s.

---------- Post added March 15th, 2013 at 09:42 AM ----------

Did any of you got sick at any time from diving in the cold?

I don't think so. I'm diabetic so my immune system isn't like it was twenty years ago, so I get a cold pretty easy with or without diving. So I figured I might as well dive and risk getting a cold than not dive and still risking a cold.

you don't get sick FROM the cold..... but you my get sick OF the cold.....

I think what you meant is that you don't get a cold from the cold, you can get hypothermia from cold water diving, but unlikely if wearing proper thermal protection for the conditions.

I haven't noticed any kind of ice cream headache effect down to about 42 Fahrenheit. When I was diving wet I wore a 5mm hood and my head stayed warm enough. Diving dry I have a 7mm that is even warmer but also even harder to hear anyone on the surface.

I only notice the cold on my face for about 30 seconds and then I get used to it... until I have to clear my mask. That always sucks when the water's in the 40s. In the 50s it doesn't bother me at all.

It's been a while since I've been in really cold water (less than 45 or so) but I don't recall my face ever feeling any colder than the rest of me.

It's been a while since I've been in really cold water (less than 45 or so) but I don't recall my face ever feeling any colder than the rest of me.

I usually notice it on my face when dropping through a thermocline, but I seem to adjust quickly...or perhaps numb up quickly

I'll do 3-4 dives a day sometimes in 45 F water with a basic 5mm hood without my head getting cold. I think I have polar bear genes.

But "cold" is relative. A friend of mine used to come down from Alaska regularly to dive here. One time coming out of the water she commented how much she loved the "warm water" of Puget Sound ... no ice cream headache ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I get an ice cream headache that lasts for less than a minute when the water is colder than 50 degrees. My 12mm Otter Bay hood helps, and it doesn't vent air out the top so often it will have a small air pocket. A push down on the head lets the warm air pass to the ears...ahhhhh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom