Diving in Bali....what's the deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigwaves

Reaction score
My friend and I are headed to Bali but we don't know where to stay or which dive shop to dive with. We are backpackers on a small budget and will be there for a week. Recommended to us was Scuba Duba Doo and Bali Scuba. We do not have our own gear but we are nitrox certified so that is something we are looking to do. If there is better diving at some of the other islands please let me know.

We are also interested in a liveaboard and the eastern part of Indonesia such as Flores, Kri, and Lembeh. If you have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Try lovina on the north coast, very laid back and a number of dive operators up there.

Is anyone familiar with South Lombok and "the magnet", suppose to be a hammerhead dive, but the currents are wicked!!!

bigwaves:
My friend and I are headed to Bali but we don't know where to stay or which dive shop to dive with. We are backpackers on a small budget and will be there for a week.
I loved Padang Bai when I was travelling through. Beautiful little town/bay, and great dives. I dived with Gecko Dive and had thoroughly enjoyed it. Padang Bai is also the town where you get the slow ferry accross to Lombok, so it's handy if you fancied doing a bit of island-hopping (to the Gilis for example).
bigwaves:
We are also interested in a liveaboard and the eastern part of Indonesia such as Flores, Kri, and Lembeh. If you have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.
I think Blue Marlin run liveaboards - check out their web-site - Blue Marlin.

Just returned this week from Bali. A fantastic operation for local diving is Aquamarine Divers. Call Sophia there and tell her Steve & Mona referred you to her services. Dive the East Bali area. Try to get to Nisa Pendido for the Mola-Mola which are just now arriving! Lots of drift drives at that island with spectacular hard coral gardens miles long!! Wealso dived on the Komodo Dancer eastward to Flores and Komodo. Great trip but it is 11 days long, although they have short runs too, or just fly over for a 2 day trip. STAY AWAY FROM SCUBA SERAYA in Tulamben!! The area is great, the resort is not so good unless you want to do just beach dives for MUCKING. Have fun...

If you are on a small budget, you can skip the liveboards which are generally quite expensive.

I can recommend BaliScuba as i got my OW cert. with them a few years back, i hear good things about Aquamarine if you plan to stay around Kuta.

I'm going to Bali for a week of diving next month, this time i will get as far away from Kuta/Sanur as i can - Pemuteran / Menjangan - and do as many dives as possible ;-)

stevecou1:
STAY AWAY FROM SCUBA SERAYA in Tulamben!! The area is great, the resort is not so good unless you want to do just beach dives for MUCKING. Have fun...

Excuse me??? Seraya is wonderful and they have a couple of boats that go many places. We did several boat dives with them up and down the coast.

cdoyal:
Excuse me??? Seraya is wonderful and they have a couple of boats that go many places. We did several boat dives with them up and down the coast.

I just got back last week, see my trip report here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=195668

It is a good place, I caught them during that transition week whereby I had to use local boats. It was less than ideal but it worked. I disagree what was said earlier to "stay away" :shakehead

They are about to get their new purpose built boat. Trust me, I spoke with Patrick (owner), they will get this completed for photo week. (Also, they will be finishing their new restaurant and maisonette)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom