Diving Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moonlighting

Contributor
Reaction score
My next dive requires me to wear gloves. Of what material should a good diving gloves be? I dive in the Philippines so the water is normally warm. Once during fish feeding, i was handed thick gloves. The thickness bothered me as I had difficulty feeling the button of my BCD. Also, it's important for me that I have a good grip of the hoses, etc. Thanks a lot.

Happy diving forever!

Normally leather (palm and inside fingers) and neoprene (backside).
You don't say why you need gloves.
If the water is warm try cycling gloves. Same construction, leather & neoprene but no finger tips. So you can use the leather palms to fend off sharp objects but you still have finger tip sensibility.
Oh and of course you can get kevlar gloves if you need to handle sharp objects or for protection against coral in wrecks.

moonlighting:
My next dive requires me to wear gloves. Of what material should a good diving gloves be? I dive in the Philippines so the water is normally warm. Once during fish feeding, i was handed thick gloves. The thickness bothered me as I had difficulty feeling the button of my BCD. Also, it's important for me that I have a good grip of the hoses, etc. Thanks a lot.

Happy diving forever!
I don't dive with gloves in warm water, but I despise the feel of thick gloves so even here where the water temp is rather cold I use 3 mm wet gloves. The most comfortable ones I've found to date, which also provide a nice grip for holding my tiny point-n-shoot camera housing, are Henderson Hyperstretch 3 mm.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,
You use 3mm - argghhhh - I hate gloves but not enough to use 3mm - I'm shuddering at the thought :) Then again, gloves are so yuk that I see your point but well .... I get cold without 'em.

Best warm/cold water thin dive glove Ive found is the Pinnacle with Merino liner!!1
Amazingly warm for their neoprene thickness. or should I say thin-ness

My son and I also use Henderson 3mm Hyperstretch gloves for cold fresh water lakes in Texas. They are a good compromise for ease of entry, fit, comfort, warmth and tactile usability. They are a bit more expensive than most nylon 2 neoprene dive gloves but worth it to us.

I have used all sorts of gloves for diving and the material and type was mostly related to the work I was doing.

For most diving I use off the shelf, dive store gloves of leather (or imitation leather) palms with neoprene backs. My last pair was from IST and were comfortable and lasted a long time given the abuse I put to them.

...picked up a pair of ScubaPro Tropic Amara 1.5mm gloves this past summer...very comfortable with good dexterity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom