Diving Gear Manufacturing Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, they are not, I just got one. Very reasonably priced (yes, in the USA). By the way it is Apeks, not Apex.
Yes I am aware it is Apeks. It was a simple mistake.

As for the pricing, I am speaking based on my experience with them in Southern California. All the shops I went to that sold Apeks sold them at a much higher price than I could get other regs at.

Southern California shops -- yeah, never saw a list price they didn't like . . .

I was curious about the design on the Deep 6 regs and took a look a their repair manual. The schematics look like a sixth generation fax. It's curious that a company can't provide a clear schematic when it's encouraging end users to service their own regulators.

Also, I wonder about the availability of parts (both service kits and other parts) if the company with a short track record goes out of business but I guess people are willing to take that risk when they buy a low-cost regulator. To each their own.

I
I was curious about the design on the Deep 6 regs and took a look a their repair manual. The schematics look like a sixth generation fax. It's curious that a company can't provide a clear schematic when it's encouraging end users to service their own regulators.

Also, I wonder about the availability of parts (both service kits and other parts) if the company with a short goes out of business but I guess people are willing to take that risk when they buy a low-cost regulator. To each their own.
Don't have a dog in this fight (don't own any deep6 gear), but their schematic looked legible enough to me (on a cell phone at that). As to parts availability... Just looking at it, I'd bet routine service parts are standard (therefore available from 3rd party. I'm impressed there diagrams even call out standard O-ring sizes and duro, rather than in house part numbers.

Also, I wonder about the availability of parts (both service kits and other parts) if the company with a short track record goes out of business but I guess people are willing to take that risk when they buy a low-cost regulator. To each their own.

getting proper schematics can be quite difficult, but it's not that difficult. The regs are manufactured by a large company that has been around for a very long time, parts aren't going anywhere. Everyone said the same when Chris started HOG, but they've been around for about a decade and no problems so far. The same can't be said about a lot of the Dacor regs after their acquisition. Poseidon has discontinued parts for some of their regs, as have Scubapro.

so.. I am open and honest who I am. Looked over your posts and pretty sure you are somehow affiliated with a dive shop. Why not use your name and shop?

Does my manual or my business model bug you more? Just asking.

Did you also happen to read this? The hard working local dive shop- support them please. | Deep Thoughts

so.. I am open and honest who I am. Looked over your posts and pretty sure you are somehow affiliated with a dive shop. Why not use your name and shop?

Does my manual or my business model bug you more? Just asking.

Did you also happen to read this? The hard working local dive shop- support them please. | Deep Thoughts
All in all, end of the day, to somewhat address the fear of parts availability; are there any parts, service parts that are changed at service, in a deep 6 regulator that a hog service kit doesn’t have compatible/interchangeable parts? I know second stage uses pretty standard soft parts like the rivet seat and balance chamber o-rings (the tiny ones on the poppet) which seem to be standard across the industry.

All in all, end of the day, to somewhat address the fear of parts availability; are there any parts, service parts that are changed at service, in a deep 6 regulator that a hog service kit doesn’t have compatible/interchangeable parts? I know second stage uses pretty standard soft parts like the rivet seat and balance chamber o-rings (the tiny ones on the poppet) which seem to be standard across the industry.
you can use a hog kit, the HP seat poppet will be a different coating but the HOG HP seat works fine

Also, I wonder about the availability of parts (both service kits and other parts) if the company with a short track record goes out of business but I guess people are willing to take that risk when they buy a low-cost regulator. To each their own

If this is really a worry buy several service kits and keep them on hand, with a 2 year service interval 10 kits will keep you in business for 15-20 years. With the manual, finding a shop to do the service, if you don’t self service, should not be too difficult.

That is a real consideration; and I have known several people who have scrambled for discontinued service kits, over the years. I have dove Poseidon for over four decades; and the ready availability of parts for regulators, manufactured even during the Ford and Carter administration, if not earlier, really sold me. That, and my regulators breathe like a dream; are always dry; and are well-nigh bullet-proof.

What's more, and of primary interest to me, I have service kits for the next fifteen to twenty years. Purchasing some "Tall Toad" regulator, may be cheaper in the short term; may even be ideal for a single trip to Bimini or Roatan, for ten days; but I haven't had to replace regulators, since before many on this forum, were even born.

Choose whatever established brand you like; but going cheaply, or with a no name with little track record, is really not a long term investment . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom