Diving gaiters -which?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My floaty legs are annoying. I would like to try gaiters, or something like them.

There seem to be only two:

DiveRite gaiters and OMS: Which is best? Why?

Does anyone know of others? I have thought of weights but don't wish to use them.

Does anyone know of others? I have thought of weights but don't wish to use them.

Halcyon - better than the DR by miles. Look to be similar style to OMS.

Halcyon Gaitors at www.DiveSeekers.com

Gaitors.jpg

The DR gaitors now only have 3 straps/buckles (that's an old picture you're linking to.) and are uncomfortable as you can feel three straps around your leg. Plus buckles are lumpy and a pain to put on/adjust.

41kwfqu8qrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Reactions: Jax
The Halcyon gaiters worked well until they wore out. After a couple of years, the elastic got so saggy that the gaiters became unusable. That's been my experience anyway.

Another thing to consider is that the Halcyon ones are ridiculously overpriced. I was considering giving the Golem Gear ones a try. They're selling for $38/pair and seem to be designed similarly to the Halcyon product.

My floaty legs are annoying. I would like to try gaiters, or something like them.

Why do you thing gators will help you ? If the suit area around your shins has a lot of free material that will be wrapped with the gators it will help , if you are trying to use gators to stop air coming to your feet it will not help as this is not their purpose.

IMHO DR gators make no sense or at least half of the sense :) The way gators work they wrap the excess material around your legs. With Halcyon ones it's the elastic that does wrap it with DR you have a lot of space that is not wrapped and the material can still stick out making pockets available.

If you have excess space in the feet consider using fin keepers, also if you are not using heavy fins like SP Jets consider switching to those fins. The feet can feel floaty if your trim is off.

If you can switch to a heavier fin, I'd do that before adding 2 more pieces of equipment.

a friend of mine used tank bangers, the ones that are like half a little girl's pigtail holder. he put the elastic just under his knee & put the plastic ball through it.

just throwin' it out there. no experience with it. don't endorse or condone such nonsense. but it sure would be cheaper than those ^ !

the one thing to watch out for with gaiters is that if you have them too tight you run a higher risk of DCS due to the lack of circulation in that part of your body.

DiveRite gaiters are rubbish. Halcyon or OMS are basically the same thing (I have used both). OMS is less than half the cost locally to me, however (though still very overpriced given what they are). The Golem ones look good, you basically want ones that wrap all the way around your legs without buckles and crap like that.

I personally found that they did stop air migrating to my feet and I never had a problem with air getting trapped and not being able to get it back out. YMMV. With my new suit I do not have this problem (socks + boots rather than inbuilt boot) so no longer use them.

Before buying them though you can test to see if they help by wrapping duct tape a few times around your legs.

<sigh> Yes, I have Jet fins. No, the air is not in the feet, as I wear neoprene booties.

In my fusion, in a single, the gas slowly migrates to my lower leg when I am in trim. I slowly tip forward. Unless I continuously take an upright position to re-migrate the gas, I will turn upside down.

Or, I keep my trim about 30o and the gas does not migrate. Sacrilege! :shocked2:

Didn't you say this was kind of a one off problem only due to your new attempt at a single tank configuration? If that's the case, you may just be adding unnecessary complications to something you don't need in the rest of your diving.

Several people I know swear by fin keepers for this type of problem:

finkeepers.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom