Diving gaiters -which?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

<sigh> Yes, I have Jet fins. No, the air is not in the feet, as I wear neoprene booties.

In my fusion, in a single, the gas slowly migrates to my lower leg when I am in trim. I slowly tip forward. Unless I continuously take an upright position to re-migrate the gas, I will turn upside down.

Or, I keep my trim about 30o and the gas does not migrate. Sacrilege! :shocked2:

Too much air in the suit?

Before buying them though you can test to see if they help by wrapping duct tape a few times around your legs.

I've got a TLS with turbo soles and it has a velcro strap at the ankle. That stops most of the air from getting to my feet.

Reactions: Jax
Didn't you say this was kind of a one off problem only due to your new attempt at a single tank configuration? If that's the case, you may just be adding unnecessary complications to something you don't need in the rest of your diving.

Several people I know swear by fin keepers for this type of problem:

Thanks -- it's due to "single tank in a drysuit" configuration.

While I originally 'popped off' my fins, my new neoprene booties keep them on fine. Also, the drysuit works well in sidemounted doubles, but I still have to .... 'break trim'? to move the bubble up . . . just not as often as I do in a single.

I'd like to solve this once and for all, as I don't think I'll be diving wet much ever . . .

Last edited:
The Halcyon gaiters worked well until they wore out. After a couple of years, the elastic got so saggy that the gaiters became unusable. That's been my experience anyway.

Another thing to consider is that the Halcyon ones are ridiculously overpriced. I was considering giving the Golem Gear ones a try. They're selling for $38/pair and seem to be designed similarly to the Halcyon product.

Darn it! The smallest they make is medium, at 14-16". I need a 12" one. :(

Too much air in the suit?

No, Bob Sherwood commented that I had next to none in the suit, as that was how I was handling it. However, that takes the 'warm' out of a drysuit. I was shivering by the end of the day in an 80o pool since we all stood or sat in the water to prevent overheating.

I'd like to solve this once and for all, as I don't think I'll be diving wet much ever . . .

Look at the fin keepers like me and elan have recommended. They're likely to be your best bet.

Jax...when you get the floaty feet and extra air in the legs....do you feel squeeze anywhere...if you have enough air that moves to your legs to cause a problem you should in theory feel a little squeeze in other locations...I'm almost thinking like CD in that you might have too much in the suit....

Also...what kind of undergarments are you wearing under your fusion....

Thanks to a PM, here's another gaiter: Bare.

$104 for Halcyon . . . :shocked2:

Thanks to a PM, here's another gaiter: Bare.

$104 for Halcyon . . . :shocked2:

The fin keepers are $7.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom