Diving, Fitness, Obesity and Personal Rights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The more "rules" we put in place to protect us from ourselves, the less freedom we all have and the more liability those who provide us goods and services have to deal with.

This is the real issue ... and the one worth talking about.

Diving's all about personal responsibility. If you don't feel comfortable diving with someone because of their body weight, then don't dive with them. That's your responsibility. If you as a diver have any hesitancy diving in conditions because you question your physical ability to handle it, then don't dive. That's your responsibility. If you as an instructor have reservations about someone's capacity to engage in diving safely due to their physical limitations, don't certify them ... or better yet, be honest with them up-front when they sign up for a class and don't take them in the first place. That's your responsibility.

But making laws or rules to prevent someone from engaging in diving due to their perceived fitness to dive is a two-edged sword. They always have unintended consequences, and frequently come back to bite those who promoted them in the arse.

This topic falls under the category of "be careful what you wish for" ... rules that protect people from their own poor lifestyle choices are almost always a bad idea, not because of the intent of the rule but because of the inevitable side-effects that always come with it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I underwent the RSTC physical two weeks ago, and then my work threw me under the health screening bus. I am rather healthy. 6' tall and 177 pounds. The day before both events, I ran two miles in 14 minutes. Heart rate very low. Lung capacity is excellent. Cholesterol not perfect but very good. Blood pressure is OK. Flexibility excellent, and EKG great...

However, I am borderline fat. My BMI, my waist-to-hip ratio, and my body fat are right on, or over, the datum point for fatness.

Your BMI is 24, normal weight. Obviously, not the only criteria

If controlling body weight were as simple as "exercise more, eat less" then I would be out of one of my jobs.

I have a friend who claims there's one way to lose weight and it's very simple. But what does she know, she's anorexic.

Last edited:
6' tall and 177 pounds.
I am borderline fat.

No, you have a clueless doctor. Either that or you're living in the land of the skinny: I am 6'1 @ 187 and nowhere near fat -- by Midwestern standards.

This is the real issue ... and the one worth talking about.

Diving's all about personal responsibility. If you don't feel comfortable diving with someone because of their body weight, then don't dive with them. That's your responsibility. If you as a diver have any hesitancy diving in conditions because you question your physical ability to handle it, then don't dive. That's your responsibility. If you as an instructor have reservations about someone's capacity to engage in diving safely due to their physical limitations, don't certify them ... or better yet, be honest with them up-front when they sign up for a class and don't take them in the first place. That's your responsibility.

But making laws or rules to prevent someone from engaging in diving due to their perceived fitness to dive is a two-edged sword. They always have unintended consequences, and frequently come back to bite those who promoted them in the arse.

This topic falls under the category of "be careful what you wish for" ... rules that protect people from their own poor lifestyle choices are almost always a bad idea, not because of the intent of the rule but because of the inevitable side-effects that always come with it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

For those of you who were upset with my comments about "large" persons and the diving risks they present in the diving community for a number of reasons, this statement above is the most concise and eloquent explanation thus far as to why it is nerve racking for some (including professionals) to dive with a person who have a bit to much in the waist line. Cheers @NWGratefulDiver.

Your BMI is 24, normal weight. Obviously, not the only criteria
No, you have a clueless doctor. Either that or you're living in the land of the skinny: I am 6'1 @ 187 and nowhere near fat -- by Midwestern standards.

Hi scubadada and dmaziuk,

Your government and its regulated medical industry have set these guidelines. I am literally, by their standards, straddling the "fat" line. No joke. The screening bus instructs me every time to eat low fat (high sugar) foods as some of my numbers are very marginal.

My sarcastic humor about my "fat" situation actually plays into Bob's post #133. Be careful what you advocate for. The FDA and HHS are heavily involved in regulating our healthcare and this is the drivel we get!

Another point I was underhandedly trying to make is that we all have a cross to bear. One of mine is that I always dive a solo rig even when buddy diving. Sometimes, the reactions I get from dive boat crews is hilarious, sometimes it is contemptible, and sometimes it says volumes about the seeming Coriolis effect that is swirling the diving industry.

Don't worry, I don't have a negative body image. I am not in danger of becoming bulimic or anorexic.

markm

Last edited:
... Your government and its regulated medical industry have set these guidelines. I am literally, by their standards, straddling the "fat" line. ...
My name is lowviz and I'm fat too.

185#, 5' 11". Most of my weight is in my legs. Elliptical and aggressive daily hikes. Drives both my swim instructor and my doctor nuts.

My scuba diving mentor has it right, he put me on a remedial program to even things out: StrongLifts: Simple, Effective Strength and Muscle Building

:giggle:

Your government and its regulated medical industry have set these guidelines. I am literally, by their standards, straddling the "fat" line

Aside from "my government" and "goverment-regulated medical industry" (I'm assuming you're talking US), I repeat: your doctor is clueless. Mine completely ignores that I'm right next to "overweight" on the BMI chart.

Set of "people with high BMI" and set of "obese people at risk of cardiovascular incident" are not the the same set, they're only mostly the same set, if you're looking at 300M people total. If you're a health insurer with a million customers, mostly is the part you care about because you get to pay for the triple bypasses. If you're a DM splashing with a diver who looks like they're about to pop a vessel, the part you care about is "risk of cardiovascular incident".

:giggle:

Aside from "my government" and "goverment-regulated medical industry" (I'm assuming you're talking US), I repeat: your doctor is clueless. Mine completely ignores that I'm right next to "overweight" on the BMI chart.

Set of "people with high BMI" and set of "obese people at risk of cardiovascular incident" are not the the same set, they're only mostly the same set, if you're looking at 300M people total. If you're a health insurer with a million customers, mostly is the part you care about because you get to pay for the triple bypasses. If you're a DM splashing with a diver who looks like they're about to pop a vessel, the part you care about is "risk of cardiovascular incident".

Sorry about that! I assumed you were a U.S. citizen.

It is not my MD. It is my health insurer. My MD says I am in EXCELLENT condition.

And I agree with the rest of your statement...which was the point I was trying to make, but I guess I failed!

markm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom