Diving, Fitness, Obesity and Personal Rights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And I agree with the rest of your statement...which was the point I was trying to make, but I guess I failed!

I think we should first establish what words mean. I take "overweight" (BMI 25) to mean "weighs more than he should". I happen to agree with its assessment of me: I could lose a few pounds. Not many, mind you, but I should weigh 5-10 lbs less. I also take "fat" to mean "obese". With your measurements you're not "fat" by my definition so your joke didn't work on me.

PS. and no, I'm a green-skinnedcarded alien. And back when I lived in countries with actual health care BMI wasn't invented yet. So I have no basis for comparison on this particular issue.

People come in all shapes and sizes and body mass is not a flawless indicator of fitness. I have a brother-in-law who looks like a marathoner but wheezes after a half a flight of stairs. When it comes to diving, I try to avoid going in the water with an "unknown quantity"...by that I mean, if I don't know your training or experience, I have no way of knowing how safe I am in your company (don't get me wrong I am self-reliant in the water but I would rather not be drawn into someone else's life and death drama). There are only a few "indicators" I can use...logbook, the confidence with which you set up your gear, your equipment choices, whether you use a snorkel (tee hee) AND perceived fitness. I don't care how fat or thin you are, if you struggle with minor physical tasks you can dive with someone else. We can have a beer back at the resort afterwards but I will not dive with you if I think you are a danger to yourself or by extension, me. If someone chooses not to dive with me for the same reasoning then I applaud that decision (they would be wrong because I am awesome in the water though) :)

I think we should first establish what words mean. I take "overweight" (BMI 25) to mean "weighs more than he should". I happen to agree with its assessment of me: I could lose a few pounds. Not many, mind you, but I should weigh 5-10 lbs less. I also take "fat" to mean "obese". With your measurements you're not "fat" by my definition so your joke didn't work on me.

PS. and no, I'm a green-skinnedcarded alien. And back when I lived in countries with actual health care BMI wasn't invented yet. So I have no basis for comparison on this particular issue.

Hi dmaziuk,

Thank you for peer reviewing my post. I did use a politically incorrect term, and I used it liberally. I am sorry for that.

However, your critiques will make my submission to the Journal of the American Medical Association sail right through their editorial board review!

Please, critique my writing style anytime as you are proving my point with every post.

markmud

Go.aspx

People come in all shapes and sizes and body mass is not a flawless indicator of fitness. I have a brother-in-law who looks like a marathoner but wheezes after a half a flight of stairs. When it comes to diving, I try to avoid going in the water with an "unknown quantity"...by that I mean, if I don't know your training or experience, I have no way of knowing how safe I am in your company (don't get me wrong I am self-reliant in the water but I would rather not be drawn into someone else's life and death drama). There are only a few "indicators" I can use...logbook, the confidence with which you set up your gear, your equipment choices, whether you use a snorkel (tee hee) AND perceived fitness. I don't care how fat or thin you are, if you struggle with minor physical tasks you can dive with someone else. We can have a beer back at the resort afterwards but I will not dive with you if I think you are a danger to yourself or by extension, me. If someone chooses not to dive with me for the same reasoning then I applaud that decision (they would be wrong because I am awesome in the water though) :)

+1
Profoundly stated!! You nailed my philosophy on this subject exactly.
markm

I thought the issue was large people. Doesn't matter how strong or fit you are, if you are too heavy, then you shouldn't be diving. Is that the theme? This is simple.. why not just pick a maximum weight allowable for a scuba diver? The concern is for getting them ashore or back onto the boat right?

I'm well into the obese range on the chart, but not so tall, so is that OK?

I thought the issue was large people. Doesn't matter how strong or fit you are, if you are too heavy, then you shouldn't be diving. Is that the theme? This is simple.. why not just pick a maximum weight allowable for a scuba diver? The concern is for getting them ashore or back onto the boat right?

I'm well into the obese range on the chart, but not so tall, so is that OK?

Hi DD,

I think you are getting to the point that some of us are making. Bob's point was "Be careful what you wish for!" (I think I quoted him correctly)

This is a can of worms. I think DHboner has it right. Make a value judgement based on your evaluation of a potential dive buddy and go with it. Let other divers be responsible for themselves, or not. Let the DM and skipper make their own risk assessment.

If a completely unhealthy person dives, try to avoid diving in the same area. It is not your job to save someone from their own stupidity.

markm

Thank you for peer reviewing my post. I did use a politically incorrect term, and I used it liberally. I am sorry for that.

Glad to be of help, I'll be here all life.

I have to admit, I didn't look at healthcare.gov since before the big revamp. Back then about the only government-mandated preventive service for my age and gender was free syphilis testing. You made me look and now they do have Obesity screening and counseling and "overweight or obese" are indeed equally bad. Oh well. Not that I ever doubted the idiocy...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom