Diving, Fitness, Obesity and Personal Rights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was a very small girl in the Rescue Course I took years ago. I recall we had a very small DM on staff for a while (think she's IDC Staff Instr. somewhere now). I'd doubt it would be very easy for either of these to pull a 250 pound person up anywhere.

The UK HSE (Health and Safet Executive - in change of enforcing H&S law in workplaces) has recently updated the medical requirements for at work (I've paid, not club) diving instructors such that obese (BMI > 30) instructors will fail their annual medical.

I think it is wrong to consider that people make an informed choice about their weight. There is a very big food selling industry which uses all the tricks in the book to get people to buy and consume the food that makes them the most money. That is not generally fresh vegetables cooked at home. Up against that people make bad choices. Here there is a distinct correlation between level of education (and wealth) and healthy eating/lifestyle/life expectancy.

The UK HSE (Health and Safet Executive - in change of enforcing H&S law in workplaces) has recently updated the medical requirements for at work (I've paid, not club) diving instructors such that obese (BMI > 30) instructors will fail their annual medical.

I think it is wrong to consider that people make an informed choice about their weight. There is a very big food selling industry which uses all the tricks in the book to get people to buy and consume the food that makes them the most money. That is not generally fresh vegetables cooked at home. Up against that people make bad choices. Here there is a distinct correlation between level of education (and wealth) and healthy eating/lifestyle/life expectancy.
Incredibly stupid of them. BMI was meant to measure populations, not individuals. It's a horrible tool to measure individuals.

Incredibly stupid of them. BMI was meant to measure populations, not individuals. It's a horrible tool to measure individuals.
And you don't have a 'population' of diving instructors?

There was a very small girl in the Rescue Course I took years ago. I recall we had a very small DM on staff for a while (think she's IDC Staff Instr. somewhere now). I'd doubt it would be very easy for either of these to pull a 250 pound person up anywhere.
Do they not teach the tricks involving ropes to get a body back into the boat? Given two people and appropriate ropes you can land quite a mass.

Idiots ... I would fail that exam, and without being too conceited about it I'm probably a more fit diver than most of the people I dive with ... including most of the skinnier instructors I know. It's a ridiculous idea that was most likely made by someone who doesn't even dive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

And you don't have a 'population' of diving instructors?
Not really. The original parameters were 30,000+ as I recall. That's irrelevant anyway. You don't use BMI as a standard to judge a single individual if you have a brain. Dive instructor goes for physical, Dr says "nope, your bmi" is too high". That's retarded and not what it was designed for.

Last edited:
Not really. The original parameters were 30,000+ as I recall. That's irrelevant anyway. You don't use BMI as a standard to judge a single individual if you have a brain. Dive instructor goes for physical, Dr says "nope, your bmi" is too high". That's retarded and not what it was designed for.

In the year 2016 do you really think it is okay to use the word "retarded". Think before you type.

What is the average BMI for an NFL player?

So the average pro nfl player, making millions a year, cannot become a scuba instructor (in the UK). Having said that NFL players do seem to have a higher incidence of heart disease. So who knows maybe a BMI under 30 would be a good goal.

For the average person a BMI >30 means 3 years less life and a BMI >40 meant 10 years shorter life span.

In the year 2016 do you really think it is okay to use the word "retarded". Think before you type.
Sure do. But I'm not a sensitive, delicate, sad little flower. The word has a meaning and it's applicable to anyone stupid enough to use BMI to judge individuals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom