Diving, Fitness, Obesity and Personal Rights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am of the mind it is all a choice of a free person with free will in a free society. One can choose to do unhealthy things, dangerous things and risk your life and to a degree even that of others. If one chooses to do things that are incompatible with life, regardless of the reason, you are also free to suffer the consequences.

I am basically for letting people make their choices in life, live as they wish and as long as they are not intentionally about to hurt themselves or others, it is not my business to judge them or to interfere.

But now if an opinion is asked, then threads like this result. Because everyone also has a right to an opinion and if asked, a right to give it.

N

Would you rather live 55 years making your own choices, or 75 years with the government (or other Big Brother entity) making them for you? Your answer to this philosophical question is important. If you wish this measure of liberty, afford it to others also, recognizing that they, too, have have shortened life expectancies based on their choices.

Obviously no dive boat wants spherical customers exhausted & breathless from the walk to the dive boat, but I don't get the sense that extreme is so common.

It's interesting where people choose to 'draw the line' or 'set the standard' as to what a diver should be. Is it someone who isn't markedly physically impaired, such as by extreme obesity or serious medical illness? Is it someone normal weight or a little chubby, but out of shape - sedentary office worker perhaps? Is it someone who's not an in shape gym hitting athlete?

Richard.

You hit the nail on the head Richard.

Would you rather live 55 years making your own choices, or 75 years with the government (or other Big Brother entity) making them for you? Your answer to this philosophical question is important. If you wish this measure of liberty, afford it to others also, recognizing that they, too, have have shortened life expectancies based on their choices.

Nice if it were true but how about this philosophical question: would you rather
  • work 12 hour days carrying 200lb gorillas in and out of the water until your back falls out into your speedos in 3 years,
  • or choose to not work like that, not get paid, and starve to death in 3 weeks.

Nice if it were true but how about this philosophical question: would you rather
  • work 12 hour days carrying 200lb gorillas in and out of the water until your back falls out into your speedos in 3 years,
  • or choose to not work like that, not get paid, and starve to death in 3 weeks.

... or (c) find a different line of work ...

C'mon ... nobody's forcing anybody to work on a dive boat ... and I'd say if you're going to specify fitness as a prerequisite, it'd make more sense to force dive boat crew to be fit than the divers they rely on for their pay ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

C'mon ... nobody's forcing anybody to work on a dive boat ... and I'd say if you're going to specify fitness as a prerequisite, it'd make more sense to force dive boat crew to be fit than the divers they rely on for their pay ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I get paid vacations and I am paid well enough to afford to dive. My salary is paid from federal funds. So I am all for government taxes and labour regulations -- they're not perfect, to put it mildly, but they're the reason I'm here on SB talking about diving. When want to hear the flag pin and apple pie pseudo-libertarian BS instead, I'll turn off the computer and turn on the idiot box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh, so you've chosen civil servant rather than dive master as a career choice. Good for you. You're probably going to get a pension and be able to dive well into your retirement. Please do get back to us a few years after that. We'll want to be sure you're still in fighting trim.

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A couple of you need to take a break from the keyboard and take some deep cleansing breaths. Any further bickering will result in other "measures". Take it to private conversations if you can't leave well it well enough alone. I will remind you to look at the rules for this Forum.

Currently the RNLI is running a campaign to get over 50s divers to check their health at least as well as their kit, and as I pointed out above the HSE has brought in restrictions for working divers. Both of these organisations have a history of keeping people alive rather than talking rubbish.

So... I guess it's better to have unfit divers killing themselves through incompetence and denial, putting the physical and mental health of the op's employees (plus, of course, the rescue divers and rescue personnel involved) on the line instead?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Agree only if people agree to stop suing after they do stupid things. Amazing how the most committed "laissez faire" people jump on the "let's sue" wagon after they get hurt doing something stupid.
I'm all for personal rights and freedoms, but what about rights and freedoms of people that work in this industry to not get stressed by seeing you hurt or dead, and dealing with consequences.Yes, **** happens, but why is it OK to push limits with fitness/weight issues, but it is not OK to push limits with diving beyond your limits/training?
If I am at risk to be sued for not being able to get someone big out of water, should I put yours rights and freedoms to dive unfit over my right to dive without worries of being sued out of my life?
I know which one I'll choose.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom