Diving facial hair/mask fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try the mask sealant from Dive Right In Scuba. Besides putting it around the edge of my whole mask, I also apply some directly to my moustache, right under the nose where the mask rests. It has no flavor or odor and is silicone-based, not oil-based, so if anything it will actually help keep your mask skirt supple.

I have also noticed that, ironically enough, it is easier to keep a good seal over my moustache when I let it grow out a bit, as opposed to keeping it short and stubbly. I think that's because it's easier to maintain a seal when the hairs are laying down, as opposed to sticking out. But the Dive Right In mask sealant definitely helps.

+1 works for me too.

I worried about that years ago when I went snorkeling and used Vaseline. I found it very messy. Since I started scuba diving, I don't use anything, I always blow out through my nose a bit while diving. I find keeping a little positive pressure in the mask keeps it clear and avoids mask squeeze.

I have had a moustache all of my adult life and found the best remedy is to dab a little Vaseline around the upper part of the stache . It helps to create a seal and prevent leaking. Try it.

Try the mask sealant from Dive Right In Scuba. Besides putting it around the edge of my whole mask, I also apply some directly to my moustache, right under the nose where the mask rests. It has no flavor or odor and is silicone-based, not oil-based, so if anything it will actually help keep your mask skirt supple.

I have also noticed that, ironically enough, it is easier to keep a good seal over my moustache when I let it grow out a bit, as opposed to keeping it short and stubbly. I think that's because it's easier to maintain a seal when the hairs are laying down, as opposed to sticking out. But the Dive Right In mask sealant definitely helps.

Agree with last bit. I have a mo and a Mares X Vision mask that doesn't leak unless I have trimmed my moustache too short. Never used grease of any sort.

Try not showering before a dive, helps keep the natural oils on the ol stache that will help seal and waterproof. Kind of like a walrus or otter. Also just dive more with it, I usually rock all sorts of lengths of beard and facial hair, once you get used to it you get comfortable and adjust for minor things and next thing you know, its not leaking anymore. Otherwise, sometimes chapstick will help. Try burtsbeeswax chapstick, tastes great and its all natural so it wont ruin the skirt of your mask.

Have never had a problem with my beard, and I have often started a dive holiday by shaving the first day and then allowing it to grow back in time for presenting my bearded face and passport at the airport. The secret probably has been to have bought my mask when I had a beard. Length of beard hasn't been an issue. And no I don't use waxes etc. Just watch the silicone seal isn't rolling up as you put your mask on

During the summer months I keep my beard short about a 2 on the razor. I use a dive right frame less mask and don't need anything to help keep it sealed. In the winter months I go duck commander beard style and still very rarely have a leaking issue. Though I do notice it does feel like it is further away from my face. In the past I have used chapstick on the odd ocassion it did leak and even once drysuit zipper wax as that is all I had with me. When I was in college I had a scuba pro mask and a goatee never had a leaking issue.

I have been diving for more than 35 years and have had a full beard and full mustache during that time. My solution to the problem is a full-faced nose purge mask. If you have facial hair around the nose there is always going to be some leakage. The purge mask allows you to keep it to a minimum without shaving and does not require you to break the seal to purge your mask in the usual fashion of the accumulated leakage. (Plus you see more especially if your nose purge mask has a clear silicone skirt.) The one I use currently is the Tusa Imprex 3D Hyperdry mask with the silicone skirt. It costs around $65+ or - online. Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom