Diving East Side of Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which great day of diving, oh sister of different parents?
Yes, I ordered a red hibiscus scap.

Drowned my a620 the EXACT same way you did - on the 2nd day of the Turks and Caicos trip!

Are we going to make it to the East side next time we're both there?!?

Which great day of diving, oh sister of different parents?
Yes, I ordered a red hibiscus scap.

Drowned my a620 the EXACT same way you did - on the 2nd day of the Turks and Caicos trip!

Are we going to make it to the East side next time we're both there?!?

Oh sis of different parents, each day we were diving together was great :D ..... I do need to work on this m-quote deal.....the particular day I was referring to was when I was diving with Prop Joe on the Eastside (my housing flooded that day on the 1st dive). I'm also betting we could probably find our way to the Eastside the next time we're on the island together.

Argh....the A620 flooding.....I replaced my A620 using Ebay and found new o-rings through a supplier in CO. I wasn't ready (or willing) at the time to replace the housing and camera .... but if you do replace with something different, I guess you better let me know what you end up with...we can't break the cycle :wink:

Flower power!!

Oh sis of different parents, each day we were diving together was great :D ..... I do need to work on this m-quote deal.....the particular day I was referring to was when I was diving with Prop Joe on the Eastside (my housing flooded that day on the 1st dive). I'm also betting we could probably find our way to the Eastside the next time we're on the island together.

Argh....the A620 flooding.....I replaced my A620 using Ebay and found new o-rings through a supplier in CO. I wasn't ready (or willing) at the time to replace the housing and camera .... but if you do replace with something different, I guess you better let me know what you end up with...we can't break the cycle :wink:

Flower power!!

I also used ebay to replace the a620. My o-rings seem fine. I just caught that lcd shade string in the edge. If I change, I'll let you know - though I am sure you'd follow suit without a direct message. :wink1:

Haven't gotten to dive with Prop Joe yet. *sigh*
WooHoo! East side! East side!
:daisy: Power!

Maybe one day I'll use the Forum guide to find information...

I'm honestly trying to figure out whay this whole thing is a big deal? Somethimes I'd like to hear from people about specific deals that I might be interested in. As long as it's a fellow diver giving me info I'd like to have and not a shop owner repeatedly pimping his shop with "Special Offers" to try and drum up business, I don't see a problem. :idk:

I think this thread has gotten a little too personal though. Ripping on BXTC because the owner is on here frequently giving advice without ever quoting prices or trying to talk divers into diving with her instead of someone else is definitely over the top.

Can't we all just get along?:shakehead:

No Kevin, it wasn't REmoved, it was MOVED to the Coozumel marketplace area as Dave had originally requested when he wanted to open up this opportunity.http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/trips-local-marketplace-cozumel/318571-cant-go-wrong.html

It's a great service that Aldora provides and I'm glad they provide it! I give the option to set this up with Aldora for my qualified divers. For example, this means a diver with less than 10 logged dives on their registration form and no previous dives in Cozumel are not candidates for these dives.

Ok, I just have to ask. Why would you place a restriction on who dives with Aldora? Is that your place...to determine which of your customers is qualified to dive with another dive op? Shouldn't that be left up to Aldora. Further, if asked a direct question such as:

Christy, we've been on the east side in the rental car and it is completely flat water, we saw a boat out there that sure looked like a dive boat...who is diving the east side? Are there shore dives we can do? Anything?

Why would you answer with a straight face that nobody dives during a Norte and then come in here stating that you never do that and assume I'll remain quiet each time you do? I know, you say you never said that but you not only did it once but repeated it again the following day to both me and my fiance.

Aldora told me later that we could have hired a private DM to dive with us on the east side...if they felt that was necessary. Whether they did or not, you should have told us the truth when we asked and you should not be making assertions in here that you are more than willing to hand customers to Aldora, that simply isn't true.

You lied to protect your business, and I can understand that....you have no obligation to hand business to your competitors, especially when there is no guarantee that they will return when the weather clears up. But your post here is not entirely truthful and I'm going to continue to call you out on it. Perhaps I'm the only diver on this board with that experience with you, but I doubt it...and while you still make assertions that it would be better to stay in bed with a good book than dive with Aldora....I'm thinking those pics of Prop Joe's tend to put a stopper on that argument as well.

I'll sign off for the weekend now. On a plane for Cozumel tomorrow to finalize some wedding plans.

Last edited:
This really goes against my values and principles as I typically don't give too much thought to your tirades against me anymore after a year and a half, but ok - I'll play tonight Bill.

billindenver:
Ok, I just have to ask. Why would you place a restriction on who dives with Aldora? Is that your place...to determine which of your customers is qualified to dive with another dive op?
If I am vouching for their experience and skill level, which puts my judgment and reputation as an instructor on the line as well as the ultimate safety and enjoyment of other paying divers on the boat, then yes. If I send people that are a handful, they will think twice about "taking my word" regarding the skill level for any future divers I send them. If you walk in and are honest with them and book the dive directly through them, then it's up to them - see how that works? If your paperwork was truthful that you filled out with me, then you had NINE logged dives at the time and Tonya had FIVE - If a diver cannot hold a safety stop without assistance, then they need work and are not ready for more adventuresome dives yet - that's my professional opinion and I stand by it. A day or two of diving lost is not worth risking the safety or enjoyment of everyone else. I'm not bashing new divers, I'm stating fact. I'll go out of my way to accommodate new divers and make sure they stay safe and have a good time. I'm also not saying that Aldora can't handle new divers, of course they can.

billindenver:
Christy, we've been on the east side in the rental car and it is completely flat water, we saw a boat out there that sure looked like a dive boat...who is diving the east side? Are there shore dives we can do? Anything?

Why would you answer with a straight face that nobody dives during a Norte and then come in here stating that you never do that and assume I'll remain quiet each time you do? I know, you say you never said that but you not only did it once but repeated it again the following day to both me and my fiance.
Not my recollection of the events at all and not sure what reason I would have had to "lie" to you - and you really don't know me well enough to call me a liar - you have NO IDEA. But if you say it's so, then it MUST be true. I am not afraid of losing business to Aldora. They are a wonderful dive operation and if people want to dive with them vs. me or vice versa - that's their own choice. I've sent overflow to them on several occasions and they've sent overflow to me on several occasions - we work together, not against each other. This is what is so ironic about a handful of you - you pit shops against each other and create shop wars that don't exist in real life!

Everybody has their favorites and I'm totally accepting of the fact that I'm not everyone's favorite - I'm a realist and I'm confident in the service I provide without expecting to be a match for everyone.

billindenver:
Aldora told me later that we could have hired a private DM to dive with us on the east side...same as we did in your boat. Whether they did or not, you should have told us the truth when we asked and you should not be making assertions in here that you are more than willing to hand customers to Aldora, that simply isn't true.
At the time, over a YEAR ago - it was my understanding that this dive was open only to advanced/experienced divers. It is still my understanding that it used to be that way and still is in certain instances based on conversations I've had with Memo. I'll also add that at the time (October 2008), I believe (or maybe incorrectly believed) that this service was only available to Aldora's clients.

I also recall, from your very own post that you went in to ask Aldora about the dive and you were so impatient, you couldn't wait for Memo to talk to you. Is that my fault too? Probably. This is not a slam from me on Memo - I have tons of respect for him, but this is what YOU said:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/259573-diving-two-ops-realistic.html#post3954807

The really frustrating thing is we walked into Aldora (half a block from Blue XT Sea) on the first of the Norte days...but they were busy in the back and never came up to talk to us.

In the same post, you seem to take responsibility for your lack of planning rather than blaming bad weather on a poor dive op owner who's just trying to make an honest living
No matter which dive op you sign up with, it is not in their best interest to introduce you to one that is diving while they are not, so do not expect them to do so, even if you specifically ask. I really enjoyed Blue XT Sea and will use them again I am sure, they are great people and lots of fun....but if weather moves in or you want more than two tanks a day....I would put together a 'save a dive trip' list of large boat dive ops and those who run afternoons.....just in case.

billindenver:
You lied to protect your business
No, I didn't.

billindenver:
But your post here is not entirely truthful and I'm going to continue to call you out on it. Perhaps I'm the only diver on this board with that experience with you, but I doubt it
I find it sad that over a year later you're still dwelling on this. You've been to Cozumel what, half a dozen times since then, dove with 5 shops now - found a few that you really like, and you love the island so much that you're getting married here - with so many positive things and positive experiences here why do you choose to focus on the negative? The negative energy and time that you've spent on me and my operation is astonishing and cannot possibly be good for your health.

Think about this. Had you dove with DWM do you think THEY would have sent you to Aldora? I can all but guarantee that they would not have. Another poster in the forum this week was diving with them and found out about Aldora's east side dives from the board, not from DWM. Is Coco going to spend the next year slamming DWM for this? REALLY, you think so? You said in this post that Dressel also told you that there was no diving on the east side, why haven't you been on their case for a year+?
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/258573-beached-cozumel-4.html#post3948049

both Blue XT Sea and Dressel told me there was no way to dive the east side. Still, all in all we had a great trip...

BTW - I've offered up Aldora's services to every client for every norte since norte season began this year now that I am more knowledgeable about the trip that they offer. The choice is my divers' and I don't persuade them or dissuade them either way. I open it up, call Memo to see how many spots he has if I have takers and we go from there.

billindenver:
...and while you still make assertions that it would be better to stay in bed with a good book than dive with Aldora....I'm thinking those pics of Prop Joe's tend to put a stopper on that argument as well.
Ummm nope - Joe's pics are from the 10th. The first day of this norte was the 9th and the weather was MUCH worse on the 9th - it rained all day and was the coldest it has been on the island in at least my 10 years of being here. My divers that wanted to go that day chose to wait it out all on their own - it was their choice, they're all grown up and know how to do that all by themselves! And really, why would I go through the effort and the handful of phone calls back and forth with Memo only to talk them out of it later - really, does that make logical sense to you?

Sweet dreams and have a wonderful trip! Good luck with your wedding plans!

Last edited:
OK. Since I was one of the people that originally posted about the diving on the East side after First Dive's post, I would like to chime in here. First of all, I was in Cozumel until last Tuesday, landlocked for several days because of the nortes. I own a home there and dive with Dive Paradise, Blue XTSea, Scuba Mau, Scuba Club and many others and have been coming there for over 15 years.

This last trip, I had a group of 7 divers down and they were diving with Scuba Mau. After they left, I dove with some other friends that were diving with Dive Paradise for a few days. I did not even get a chance to dive with Christi's op this time. Yet, I sent her a private message asking her about Aldora divers and diving the East side after seeing the post from FirstDive2005. She emailed me back and told me that Aldora was a good dive op and that she had one of her own divers going out with them on the East side.

I don't post here a lot, because it seems I am always witness to these accusatory, back-stabbing posts. I remember one time in the past, I posted about a good personal experience I had with Christi and was accused of "coming to her rescue" by Bill in Denver. Honestly, I don't know what in the hell is going on here with this board, and I don't understand the personal attacks and accusations that get made. I don't even know any of you personally. BUT, I will take the time to honestly tell you that all my dealings with her have been professional and I found it important to let you know of my most recent experience when I was seeking to go out and dive the East side. Nothing negative was said about Aldora and she encouraged me to go dive with them. I sent FirstDive2005 a message and he told me who to get in touch with at Aldora. So there you have it. Do with it whatever you want.

BTW, I called them and left a message and Memo called me back right away. I wasn't able to catch up with them because they had full boats on the two mornings I wanted to go out and I couldn't swing going out in the afternoon boat due to some previous commitments. I will certainly keep them in mind for the next round of nortes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom