Diving Dry in Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryanh1985

Contributor
Reaction score
Getting about time for me to order up a drysuit. I am having a hell of a time deciding what to get, so figured I would look to my fellow swamp divers for some opinions. Basically what I know I need is, Something suitable for diving in year round, Self donning, around 1,500-1,800. Right now I am really leaning towards the pinnacle Evo 2, but have been looking at the DUI's, although it seems like it would be more than I want to spend for the same class of suit as the Pinnacle.

Last edited:
For your $1500-1800 suit you wanted, i bet if you call John at 512-426-5888, he could get you in a DUI. It's worth a try.

For your $1500-1800 suit you wanted, i bet if you call John at 512-426-5888, he could get you in a DUI. It's worth a try.

I actually work at a dive shop, so Ill be getting it through them, thanks for the offer though.

I actually work at a dive shop, so Ill be getting it through them, thanks for the offer though.

Well, hopefully you'll get a discount of some kind. If that's the case I bet a DUI isn't that far out of your price range. Being an owner of a DUI drysuit myself I can say that I love my TLS 350. All tricked out it ran me around $3k, but you don't have to pay that much if you can find one off the rack. Mine is custom cut, with zip seals, two pockets, rock boots, and a p-valve.

I don't think you can really put the Pinnacle in the same class. You'll notice small differences in the quality. You can send any suit to DUI for zip seals, but why not get them with the suit in the first place, right? Where DUI really shines is not only their product quality, but their customer service. I've been very happy with mine and doubt I'll think twice about buying another when this one wears out...in 10 years of so. :wink:

Well, hopefully you'll get a discount of some kind. If that's the case I bet a DUI isn't that far out of your price range. Being an owner of a DUI drysuit myself I can say that I love my TLS 350. All tricked out it ran me around $3k, but you don't have to pay that much if you can find one off the rack. Mine is custom cut, with zip seals, two pockets, rock boots, and a p-valve.

I don't think you can really put the Pinnacle in the same class. You'll notice small differences in the quality. You can send any suit to DUI for zip seals, but why not get them with the suit in the first place, right? Where DUI really shines is not only their product quality, but their customer service. I've been very happy with mine and doubt I'll think twice about buying another when this one wears out...in 10 years of so. :wink:

I have looked at that one, and it is very nice, but just out of my price range right now. Ill have to take a look at the DUI sizing chart and see if they have one off the rack that would fit me,might just have to save more. Pinnacle has one that is pretty much spot on for me. Do seals fail that often that the zip system is worth it? With the DUI Dog days coming up, ill probebly go test a few DUI's out before buying anything.

Thanks everyone.

I have looked at that one, and it is very nice, but just out of my price range right now. Ill have to take a look at the DUI sizing chart and see if they have one off the rack that would fit me,might just have to save more. Pinnacle has one that is pretty much spot on for me. Do seals fail that often that the zip system is worth it? With the DUI Dog days coming up, ill probebly go test a few DUI's out before buying anything.

Thanks everyone.

I have a USIA and my seals are doing fine after 5 years, one minor patch last year in the neck seals, I did myself for $3.

Really depends on how often you use it and wear them out. They are replaced all the time.

I only use mine for cold water, and cold weather diving. The rest of the time I use my wet suits.

It is a different style of diving compared to being wet. You change your techniques to accomodate for this and add weight to get negative.

In Austin or Texas I am not sure we have a USIA dealer, where as DUI has become the industry standard in this area for top notch long lasting dry suits.

Shawn

If you are an instructor then a DUI is cheap. If not I got a new TLS 350 custom cut, pockets, p-valve, and two sets of undergarments for around $2000. I highly recommend DUI. Otherwise USIA, Diving Concepts and Bare are fine. I have also seen allot of sales on DiveRite drysuits which are also pretty good. Deals are out there you just need to know where to look.

What brands do your dive shop sell?

If you are an instructor then a DUI is cheap. If not I got a new TLS 350 custom cut, pockets, p-valve, and two sets of undergarments for around $2000. I highly recommend DUI. Otherwise USIA, Diving Concepts and Bare are fine. I have also seen allot of sales on DiveRite drysuits which are also pretty good. Deals are out there you just need to know where to look.

What brands do your dive shop sell?

Pretty much All brands. The price range I am looking at is just retail. I am looking at the DUI's and the CLXSE looks nice, although it is back entry. Which the more I think about it, is not that big of a deal, I can always find someone to zip me up.

I was originally just going to go with a bare for just a starter suit, but prices went up so figured I better just spend once and keep it for a while.

With the DUI it looks like I would have to go custom cut, I have a big chest, but my waist is pretty small. The only thing with DUI is, it looks like I would have to add at least 400-500 bucks for extra's, some of which come with other brands of suits.

I guess no matter what, Trilaminate is the way to go around here over crushed neoprene?

Their are way to many choices. :shakehead:

Boy, you weren't kidding when you said you were really wanting one the other day when I visited!!

Back
Top Bottom