Question Preferences for weight setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve been wearing it under my harness and behind my crotch strap
I do this, as it will be caught if the buckle accidentally slips. This is the most likely failure, and removal would cause a buoyant/uncontrolled ascent. I'm OK taking a few extra seconds to drop on the surface if my wing has failed, as I can float a single-tank rig with a larger than normal breath.

Al80’s at the moment
In fresh water, my weighting was about the same, dry or wet with double alum 80's, I use an 8lb v weight with a 6 lb ss back plate (and 1, 2lb weight in each thigh pocket as "cheater" weights, but dont tell my cave instructors....)

Mako rubber free diving belt with individual pockets, stainless steel plate, and pockets on the cam bands.
the two front pockets on the belt are mounted upside down, so I could pop one and let the lead drop.
Belt is always under the crotch strap. Accidentally losing the belt is much more of a concern than the 2 extra seconds it takes to undo the waist belt/let crotch strap drop on the surface to let the weight belt drop.
If you are properly weighted there should NEVER be an need to drop the entire belt at depth.
For an al80 diving dry I needed 24 lbs. Which is why I never owned al cylinders except as stage bottles. Steel only.
That 24 lbs was distributed as follows. 6lb ss plate, 3 lbs in each cam band pouch, remaining lead split between 4 pockets on the belt. 4s in the back two, 2s in the front two that were ditchable.

All very helpful insight, I've got some good ideas going into my weight system setup now thanks to everybody, thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom