Diving Couples Survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great thread... someone found it and sent me the link in a PM.. what a sweetie! Since he sent me the link I think it means I can post our story here.

Years ago I used to use ICQ to keep in touch with my son. I noticed someone whose profile said they enjoyed scuba diving. I had always been interested in diving so I asked a few questions. We chatted about diving and stuff for quiet a while, became friends and he sold me on diving. I came to visit my Aussie Sister in Victoria so I decided to fly via Sydney and take my dive course here.

The funniest thing was that when my son drove me to the airport to fly over he said "Mom remember what you told me when I went to Denmark (student exchange)?" ( I had told him he was not allowed to fall in love with a Danish girl unless she was willing to come to Canada)

I laughed .. fresh out of a bad 27 year Marriage. I told him "Ain't no way that is gonna happen.... the last thing I want in my life is another MAN!" Famous last words!

I took the dive course and fell in love with thefish. A few trips back and forth for both of us, 18months or so later I found myself in OZ married to the greatest guy.

We have been sharing our lives and our dives for over ten years now. I can't imagine life without diving and I enjoy diving most with my fish. Every dive I remember to say Thanksforallthefish and collect an underwater hug!

DSC_3833Small.jpg

Thanks to Almity1 for taking the picture. Almitywife is in the background of the shot. Diving the Severance Wreck, Lady Elliott Is Queensland Nov 09

What a great story!!! You are a very lucky chickie :D

Nothing all that special. Colleen finally decided if she wanted to see more of me when we were on vacation she needed to come under the water too. Not sure that's how she would put it tho....

Jim - where is the romance in your story dammit??? How long have you guys been together, how did you meet and how long have you been diving together? Isn't diving much more fun with your sweetie?

Jim - where is the romance in your story dammit??? How long have you guys been together, how did you meet and how long have you been diving together? Isn't diving much more fun with your sweetie?

:D Oh, I left that part out? Sorry.

Colleen and I've been together a bit over 10 years now. After each of us went threw very messy marriages before we met we're just two old birds content to drive each other crazy. :wink: :wink:

I rediscovered diving just before we met, and she had never even tried snorkeling. I took her snorkeling a few times, between my dives and she was hooked, but she hesitated to try scuba at first. After snorkeling, while I dived on our trips to Mexico, Culebra, Belize, and Turks several times she decided she must be missing something. She's not a terribly confident lady or particularly strong or long on endurance, but she is determined.

We kid that it took her 5 years and 5 countries, and two separate attempts before she completed her OW, but she never gave up, and thanks to the same PADI (thank you Rich Morin) people who trained my two teens she finally earned her OW. I have always been Colleen's only dive buddy, but I am far more active a diver than her. On our Bonaire trips we will dive 5 to 7 or 8 dives together, out of the 20 to 22 a week I do. She is happy to sit in the sun and read and let me dive dive dive, as long as I am there for her to dive with when she wants to dive. Did you know you can still be scolded underwater? :shakehead:

Romantic? Some days it's romance, others we could kill each other. :wink:

:D Oh, I left that part out? Sorry.

Colleen and I've been together a bit over 10 years now. After each of us went threw very messy marriages before we met we're just two old birds content to drive each other crazy. :wink: :wink:

I rediscovered diving just before we met, and she had never even tried snorkeling. I took her snorkeling a few times, between my dives and she was hooked, but she hesitated to try scuba at first. After snorkeling, while I dived on our trips to Mexico, Culebra, Belize, and Turks several times she decided she must be missing something. She's not a terribly confident lady or particularly strong or long on endurance, but she is determined.

We kid that it took her 5 years and 5 countries, and two separate attempts before she completed her OW, but she never gave up, and thanks to the same PADI (thank you Rich Morin) people who trained my two teens she finally earned her OW. I have always been Colleen's only dive buddy, but I am far more active a diver than her. On our Bonaire trips we will dive 5 to 7 or 8 dives together, out of the 20 to 22 a week I do. She is happy to sit in the sun and read and let me dive dive dive, as long as I am there for her to dive with when she wants to dive. Did you know you can still be scolded underwater? :shakehead:

Romantic? Some days it's romance, others we could kill each other. :wink:

Muuuuuch better :D

and yes, I believe the sign for underwater scolding looks something like this :no:

Oh, I have endured entire lectures at 60ft! :wink:

More like: :laser:

:shakehead: :idk:

:rofl3::rofl3:

I have some extra special hand signs for my regular buddies also :D

:blush: normally I only collect underwater hugs.. we seldom fight anyway. I can only think of two real arguments in the last 10 years *sigh* I am very lucky! I Got my first underwater scolding last weekend...:fear:

Eastern Blue Devil fish (EBD) are shy, secretive critters prone to retreating quickly as far back as possible under ledges as soon as divers appear. We know the "territory" of a few but sightings are still a rare treat and seem a bit seasonal.

I have been lucky enough to get a few shots of them recently. This weekend the viz was pretty awful and we were diving with one of our regular buddies who has not been able to dive much recently. I found an EBD, signaled our buddy with my torch and hung back to give him a fair chance at it since I have been lucky to see them a few times recently.

When he was finished and moved back from the ledge I signaled fish to shine his torch in so I could get some video.... then went to still. I watched in disbelief and delight as the fish moved closer turned and gave me a full side shot.

Flashes of light got my attention so I turned to see Fish signaling to me with his torch and holding up two fingers and pointing. I thought... "GREAT there are two EBD's (we have seen two at this location before) I can take my time ... my buddy has his own fish to play with and take shots of!":D

Two quick shots and I hear Fish... "yelling" at me... turn and he is motioning for me to come with him NOW!:depressed:

I look at the tantalizing fish and turn to follow. Fish once again holds up two fingers makes a sweeping motion... then holds up three fingers and indicates ????. Ooops :blush: he was trying to get my attention to let me know he had lost sight of our buddy.... and I had misread it totally.:shakehead:

It didn't take long to join up again in spite of 2M viz! We normally dive in a pretty tight formation but... our buddy thought I had taken my pictures before I signaled him so he had moved on thinking I was following but .... :blush:

441-901-Medium.jpg

:blush: normally I only collect underwater hugs.. we seldom fight anyway. I can only think of two real arguments in the last 10 years *sigh* I am very lucky! I Got my first underwater scolding last weekend...:fear:

Eastern Blue Devil fish (EBD) are shy, secretive critters prone to retreating quickly as far back as possible under ledges as soon as divers appear. We know the "territory" of a few but sightings are still a rare treat and seem a bit seasonal.

I have been lucky enough to get a few shots of them recently. This weekend the viz was pretty awful and we were diving with one of our regular buddies who has not been able to dive much recently. I found an EBD, signaled our buddy with my torch and hung back to give him a fair chance at it since I have been lucky to see them a few times recently.

When he was finished and moved back from the ledge I signaled fish to shine his torch in so I could get some video.... then went to still. I watched in disbelief and delight as the fish moved closer turned and gave me a full side shot.

Flashes of light got my attention so I turned to see Fish signaling to me with his torch and holding up two fingers and pointing. I thought... "GREAT there are two EBD's (we have seen two at this location before) I can take my time ... my buddy has his own fish to play with and take shots of!":D

Two quick shots and I hear Fish... "yelling" at me... turn and he is motioning for me to come with him NOW!:depressed:

I look at the tantalizing fish and turn to follow. Fish once again holds up two fingers makes a sweeping motion... then holds up three fingers and indicates ????. Ooops :blush: he was trying to get my attention to let me know he had lost sight of our buddy.... and I had misread it totally.:shakehead:

It didn't take long to join up again in spite of 2M viz! We normally dive in a pretty tight formation but... our buddy thought I had taken my pictures before I signaled him so he had moved on thinking I was following but .... :blush:

441-901-Medium.jpg

hmmm ... obviously i didn't yell loaud enough all the other times :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I got together with my Fiance by using a pick up line... "did your ears pop when you fell from heaven?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom