Diving Concepts - Differences between TriLaminate materials

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobmaggi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am getting ready to trade in my old dry suit for a custom Diving Concepts trilam. Reviewing their literature the Ultra Flex and DuraFlex appear to be the same except for the material used on each. My LDS doesn't carry either in stock so I can compare them so I thought I would ask here.
I am leaning toward the UltraFlex but would like to know about the advantages/disadvantages for both. I am up here in chilly Michigan so I need protection from zebra mussels and the cold. I will be using this suit for deep and cold wreck diving on the Great Lakes.
Any advice is welcome! :sunny

Bob

The ultraflex is designed to be more 'flex' than durability, the DuraFlex is stiffer but more durable. Hope that helps.

And by the way.... neither "flex's". I think all that happens is you may use up some of the slack material when you bend, etc.. If you get hold of a sample of the material (your LDS should have a swatch), you can see for yourself that the material has like "0" flex quality to it. This has been my findings thus far anyway.

I think that it is absolutely rediculous that the drysuit manufacturers do not supply the dealers with a drysuit in each size and model WITHOUT seals for the end user to be able to try on the different models for possible fit BEFORE being talked into purchasing a "custom" suit, and compare them. For instance I just had to purchase a drysuit from a local chain here where I live, just so that I could take it home and cut the seals to even get it on to see if it fit. Bottom line is it does NOT fit and it is now being returned to the shop I purchased it from. DUI or the local store is getting a suit back with cut seals and will eventually have to sell it as a "second". Now you know why the damn things are so expensive.

Having the ability to try on each suit in differing sizes would seem to really eleviate a lot of waste. Both time and money for everyone. I know the LDS owners can not afford to PURCHASE all of these suits, but the manufacturers should be willing to do the above (supply their dealers with suits that are without seals for trying on). I think it would go a long way towards making things more profitable for them in the long run.

The whole process of trying to buy a drysuit seems really stupid to me. And EVERYONE seems to have had to make multiple purchases to find the suit that best fits them!

But that is my opinion.

I have an older model of the Ultraflex suit. When I purchased it a couple years ago, my LDS steered me toward the material they used the previous year. Supposedly it was stretchier than the flex material they were moving to.

I do love the stretchy tri-lam. It's not extremely stretchy like a wet suit, but does stretch when bending, kneeling, etc.

Unfortunately, I can't give first hand experience on the difference between model year stretchiness. Perhaps your LDS would know more.

I can also so that the material has been holding up very nicely. I'm a Great Lakes wreck diver. I'm not the hardest diver on a suit but do use it quite often.

Paula

I think that to say that the current trilam stretches would be...... well a STRETCH. Perhaps as Diver_Paula noted prior years trilam used had more of a stretch to it. I took hold of the most recent material that the UltraFlex Pro was made from and tried to stretch it, it did not budge. I think that is just the trade off of a trilam.

I just received my custom ultraflex pro this week. I have to agree that material has very little if any stretch at all. The duraflex is just a more heavy duty outer covering of the trilam. The duraflex is a more HD suit that is more resistant to cuts and tears but the tradeoffs are a slightly stiffer suit, that retains more water which takes longer to dry. I really had no need for the duraflex as i dont dive in rusted out wrecks with sharp edges. I have also heard the duraflex material tends to get fuzzy in high wear areas.

Back
Top Bottom