Diving Chinchorro Banks early September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cathm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone is planning a trip out to Chinchorro Banks at the start of September? I'm travelling around Mexico with my sister, will leave her at the airport or on a bus on the 30th Aug and then heading south towards Belize on my own. I'd love to do a day or two diving at Chinchorro Banks but I know the dive centres only take groups of at least six people, and I'm travelling alone. Is there anyone planning a trip around this time? Thanks

(I'll email the dive centres too but would be interested to hear if anyone was planning a trip already.)

September / October are really low seasons for the Costa Maya - including Xcalak and Mahahual. Not a real big time for group travel. You may be lucky and find an ad hoc group form while you are down in the area. If not, you can still enjoy the local reef dives.

There are a couple of dive ops / boats in the area - in both Xcalak and Mahahual that have permits for Chinchorro. At least you will find room rates very low - more money for diving and margarita's (after the dive:D)

Best wishes.

I have just returned from an incredible trip to Banco Chinchorro to celebrate the 1st anniversary of the reconstruction of the reserva after the hurricane. It is really difficult to arrange a trip to the banks without an adequate number of people (I tried on this board for 3 months before going) and I just lucked out because of this special event going on and Javier from XTC Diving in Xcalak agreed to take me along. Banco Chinchorro is an incredible treasure and it is possible that it may become more accessible in the future. The Mexican Government pumped a good amount of money into redoing the reserva center and the pescadores houses that were destroyed in the hurricane. They have also built some tourist facilities (not yet opened) and are working on how to get tourists out to the site without causing damage to the pristine environment. Contact Jeanne the office manager at XTC diving and give her your travel dates; jeanne@xtcdivecenter.com and if they can arrange it they will. It is an amazing place to experience. I was able to do a night dive with the directora of the reserva facility(Maria del Carmen Garcia Rivas) and I think some of the images will live with me forever. There was also a videographer (Luisa Valdes) along for the trip and I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of edited footage. I was there in 2007 (1 of 200 that made it out there that year, according to statistics reported at the seminar) and the reefs do still have some sand on them from the hurricane, even with that, these have to be some of the most incredible and untouched reefs in this Hemisphere. If you can arrange it go! Good luck.
Holyhumor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom