Raja Ampat in September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you say so...

The fact that many do it, doesn't make it legal. A lot of murders happen daily. Does that make them legal?

From what I remember, the wording in the law is a bit vague indeed, as it is not 100% clear that the "guide" or "supervisor" should be diving tοο. I'm not a lawyer to interpret Indonesian law. After all, everything is fine until sh*t hits the fan.

Back to the original question. One cannot expect that he/she will be allowed to do unguided dives everywhere in Indonesia. The law prohibits it and in practice a lot of places won't do it. A lot of other places do allow it (hopping for the best?), and some (see Indah at Divers Lodge Lembeh - I think I remember he wasn't allowing it in his other resorts) take the responsibility and provide shore "supervision".

That's all I have to say for this.
At Divers Lodge Lembeh guests can dive at the house reef, in front of our beach. The supervision is done directly from the beach. Restricted to day light hours. But this hardly ever happens because we take the experience of the guests into consideration and we offer a guide to join them for IDR 150.000 per dive. You are right about the law being vague. But if something goes wrong, you will never get the benefit of the doubt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom