???? Diving Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bc1954

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Will be heading to Cancun first week of February 09. Just wondering about the diving there. Don't know what to expect. I am not really into caves which I understand is what you get when you dive cenotes. Lots of info about Coz but not about Cancun. Don't really want to take the ferry to Coz would prefer to stay around Cancun. Definitely need to know if I should bring my gear.

The diving in Cancun is great. The reefs are not as big as in cozumel, but they are a lot less crowded and that shows on the condition and the sealife.
The cenotes is divided into cavern and cave sections and the cavern section is where guided dives for non-cave divers is arranged.
You might want to contact Ben at Mayan Aqua Dive, he can help setting you up with local diving, cenotes and cozumel as well if you wish to go there.
Hes on this board as ben@mayanaquadive

I second what Tigerman said, Ben is great. The diving in Cancun was great, very underrated. You might say you are not into caves but until you try a cenote dont knock it, they are a blast. Cancun may not have the endless vis Coz has but it is well worth diving. If you are staying in Cancun I would not dive Coz, to me it is to long of a day to go there and back for a two tank dive.

If you aren't opposed to driving 30min south Playa Del Carmen has great diving. Good visibility (around 70-80 ft right now), tons of sea life including turtles, huge rays and right now the Bull Sharks are here. Just a suggestion so you have another option for diving. Good luck and safe travels.

Cancun has a wreck too. It's site C-58 IIRC. I dove it last week. It's a WWII destroyer that was sunk here about 8 years ago. Hurricane Wilma tore it in two, but it's still great for penetration.

I'm in Cancun right now and have 5 dives last week with 6 more scheduled. The diving has been great. The eagle rays are here this time of year and we've seen lots of them. As was stated the reefs are smaller than Coz and there's no wall, but the plus is that the sites are not at all crowded. The Cancun reefs are mostly 30 to 60'.

In my brief experience at both locations, the Cancun dive shops have limited equipment whereas Coz has more well stocked operations (with several authorized dealers for a variety of manufacturers).

Jason

The diving in Cancun gets overlooked simply because it is so close to the even better diving in Cozumel.

DEFINITELY bring your gear.

You won't find the awesome massive coral formations of Cozumel, but there are lots of nice reefs and lots of marine life.

There is an overall difference in the type of divers in Cozumel vs. Cancun. Cozumel has lots of people there on trips specifically to dive. Cancun has lots of people that do a couple of dives while on a vacation. (Coz also has these more casual divers, but they generally show up on cruise boats a little while after the more serious divers have already started the morning dives). This difference in clientelle leads the Cancun diveops to have more restrictive, babysitting sort of attitude towards their customers.

As I said earlier though, you should definitely bring your gear as the diving in Cancun is well worth doing.

Charlie

Another vote for Ben. Great service, great diving, great staff! Fifteen minutes to any dive site and delivery to and from your hotel.

As Charlie said, Cancun always gets a bad rap. It certainly does not have the topograghy that Coz has, but the diving is still great there. I dive with Ben whenever I get down to Cancun and slip a cenote in too. Since you are not into the cenote diving, do the wreck a couple of day dives and night dive. You'll be glad you did!

Dive safe!

Back
Top Bottom