Diving books recomendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may want to add Scuba Confidential by Simon Pridmore to your list - makes Scuba Professional even better.

I believe it's available in your native language.

That's a good question for @drbill, especially from a California diver.

Being one who focuses on the marine life I see rather than the technical or historic aspects of diving, most of my books are field guides to marine life (here and anywhere in the world I dive) and classics such as Between Pacific Tides.

Hidden Warships: Finding World War II's Abandoned, Sunk, and Preserved Warships
Staying Alive:: Applying Risk Management to Advanced Scuba Diving
The Six Skills and Other Discussions: Creative Solutions for Technical Divers
Caverns Measureless to Man
The Taming of the Slough
The Darkness Beckons: History and Development of Cave Diving
Sidemount Diving: The Almost Comprehensive Guide
Diver Down: Real-World SCUBA Accidents and How to Avoid Them
Pirate Hunters: Treasure, Obsession, and the Search for a Legendary Pirate Ship
Submerged: Adventures of America's Most Elite Underwater Archeology Team
Raising the Dead: A True Story of Death and Survival

Some of these have already been mentioned, but I'll add my opinion of each title.

Diving related books I've read (or listened to):

Shadow Divers (favorite so far. Perfect book if you also enjoy WWII submarine history)
The Last Dive (great companion piece to Shadow Divers. A lot of time focused on cave diving, if that's your thing.)
Steel Boat Iron Hearts (not about diving, nor is it my favorite submarine book, but it goes nicely with Shadow Divers so it's included)

Descent Into Darkness (more of a war memoir than a diving book, but still enjoyable)
Scuba Confidential (great book! A "how to dive better" book. Despite being something of a dive manual, it's very interesting.)

On my wish list:

Blind Descent
Trapped Under the Sea

There is this man, who is considered the "father" of scuba diving: Jacques-Yves Cousteau. I dive because of him! There are several great books he wrote. One about their expedition to Lake Titicaca or the one about the Galapagos and the Red Sea. I mean you want to the start at the beginning, monseigneur Cousteau is your guide. Man, how miss those years of discoveries!

The Great Lakes Diving Guide, a 600 page behemoth on Great Lakes wrecks, as well as smaller lakes, quarries, and other sites near the Great Lakes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom