Diving beyond cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheeler925

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I got OW certified (PADI) in May and have only been on a few dives since. I'd like to go diving again soon, but where I've been invited is generally 60-100' where all the interesting stuff is. I seem pretty comfortable, and am not terribly worried about the depth. I am signed up for AOW next month already. I'm wondering if there's any critical reason I shouldn't do these dives? Dive buddy is really experienced and reassuring, and I'm not above aborting at the first sign of problems or me being uncomfortable. Thoughts please?

Nope. If the dive OP is cool about it, go for it.

I went to 80' with current in one spot, a week after cert.
Kind of my thought. This particular site is great vis, fresh water, no current. Cold as F though

Exactly how many dives (beyond OW training dives) have you completed in the two months since your OW certification? (Exactly how many is "a few dives"?)

rx7diver

Go with someone that is truly experienced in that depth and stick with them. Follow their plan and learn. You need to remember had consumption will go up since you're deeper. It takes longer to go to the surface. It is often darker at that depth so plan on taking 2 lights (1 primary, 1 backup). Enjoy what they have to show you and learn from it.

I got OW certified (PADI) in May and have only been on a few dives since. I'd like to go diving again soon, but where I've been invited is generally 60-100' where all the interesting stuff is. I seem pretty comfortable, and am not terribly worried about the depth. I am signed up for AOW next month already. I'm wondering if there's any critical reason I shouldn't do these dives? Dive buddy is really experienced and reassuring, and I'm not above aborting at the first sign of problems or me being uncomfortable. Thoughts please?

Go diving and enjoy. Certs mean nothing when you are diving. Have fun doing the AOW.

Exactly how many dives (beyond OW training dives) have you completed in the two months since your OW certification? (Exactly how many is "a few dives"?)

rx7diver
Less than 10. Where you at in central MO? I went to college in Rolla.

Do you know how to calculate the gas needed to get yourself & buddy to the surface?

As you get closer to 100 feet, you will need to monitor more things - not going beyond NDL becomes more significant, ensuring you have enough air to surface, and even looking for signs of nitrogen narcosis.

If you feel that you can keep track of all that, then going beyond 60 ft with a trusted buddy may be a good way of gaining experience.

Back
Top Bottom