Diving and surfing in Hawaii at Thanksgiving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

general

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking to a solo trip to Hawaii at Thanksgiving. I'm hoping to meet people hosteling or vacationing there. I'm also looking to do a mix of surfing and diving. Can anyone tell me where my best bets are for this in one area or if I should move around?

In terms of diving, I have my OW, advanced and Nitrox certs. I've done about 20 dives in total, so while I have the advanced cert, I don't considered myself very advanced. I'm a beginner surfer, so while seeing people surf 60 foot waves would be awesome, my *** would staying firmly on shore.

Any suggestions on where to go and what to do would be great. I'd live to bring friends along, but none have the money or time. I mostly want r n r, diving, surfing, whatever else outside, a little sightseeing and some nightlife.

Any locals or frequent visitors want to give me tips? Thanks.

You're likely to see some BIG surf around November on the North Shore of most islands. If you're a beginner it's not a good place to learn, (believe me, it's not like that movie, North Shore). The waves are fast and there are lots of really good surfers from all over the world that time of year. Getting waves is hard enough when you're starting out, much moreso if there's lots of good surfers who don't share. If you're going to Oahu, I used to surf the east side of the island a lot. Starting at Kualoa going north to Laiea. It's a long paddle out though. But you'll start getting Kona (southwest winds) that time of year and with a north swell, that side can be pretty good with a less aggressive crowd. But check the surf report in the paper every day. You might get lucky and get some waves on the south shore too.
Sorry, but I don't know much about diving in Hawaii.

If you are learning, do it in Waikiki. (surfing) You can rent a board, negotiate for a week. Or, buy one at Costco (300)or used and then sell it or take it home. Long board.

I would dive AAA diving and ask for a package of dives with some flexibility. he is not the cheapest but the charters are leisurely, take your lunch.

If you are trying to do this on the cheap, offer to clean his boat, hump tanks and stuff for a cut rate. I'd make the deal after your first day, in person.

Nightlife? Dukes on Sunday afternoon til ???
Eggs an Things for breakfast cheap, walking distance
my favorite nightlife thing is to walk...decide as you go

Oh, Indigo's good musicians, Indonesian hip ambiance bar area

W nightclub friday nights, need a collar, surfwear fine (Shoes) beware of the women

You might really like the North Shore...they have some cabins, book early.
not possible to learn surfing there that month, but quite a show!

I cant believe al these replies saying "no beginner surfing on the north shore in the winter"
I work for Surf and Sea in Haleiwa as a dive instructor but I can tell you surf instructors are busy all year round! I believe they have only cancelled lessons once or twice in 20 yrs.
So please don't be so quick to judge, there are plenty of places to teach surfing even when its breaking 20 ft at Waimea!
Obviously the instructors are going to go where it is safe and easy to learn, and obviously beginners are advised to stay on shore when the surf is up.
Regarding diving, there are periodic days throughout the winter where the surf is flat and the diving is spectacular...just not very often. We do most of our shore dives from Kahe pt (Electric Beach/west side) during surf season.
If you are staying in Waikiki then I agree with catherine and most of the other replies you will see on this board. If the country life is more your style then look into the north shore.

scubadrewvideo:
I cant believe al these replies saying "no beginner surfing on the north shore in the winter"
there are plenty of places to teach surfing even when its breaking 20 ft at Waimea!

You're right, there are.....just not there on the north shore. If one plans a trip to surf the north shore (of Oahu) in November, it's usually because that's the time that the waves are really picking up. You could get near flat conditions, or it could be a minimum of 6 feet, up to 30 feet for the whole month. Even if it's 3-4 feet, every surfer from California, Brazil, Australia etc will be on it because they came to surf. and they're mostly good surfers who aren't going to back off to give a beginner his first waves....at least that was my experience over 9 years. Kauai might be a better choice for that time of year.
If Waimea is 20 feet, a beginner would be wise to stay out of the water from Kahuku to Kaena Pt.

I learned to surf first by riding whitewater at Bellows, then at "Cockroach Bay" across from the Oceanic Institute/Sea Life Park, then along the south shore from Kaiser's (now Hawaii Prince Hotel) to Flies (now Kakaako Park but the old garbage incinerator building is still there -- garbage = flies; get it?). The spots fronting Ala Moana Beach Park are good but a long paddle (2-300yd) straight out from the beach or you can jump in from Magic Island; some of spots are Concessions, Courts, Baby Haleiwa, Big Rights, Big Lefts. Then I got brained by a loose board and gave up.

Drew, like Chum's reef?

I think they teach in a lot of places (all over the island) just to take people's money...because I see them doing lessons in some really sloppy spots. I have never seen anyplace that has the nice even sets that Waikiki has.

Can't help you with the surfing, but I highly recommend Oahu Scuba Divers for your diving. Roger and Lisa are more than accomodating with your level of experience and they are terrific diving hosts. Click on the doubles in my signature line for the link.

Back
Top Bottom