Diving and hair straightening

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had a few of the straightening treatments. Ironically, during my childhood and adolescent I hated having stick straight hair. I used to actually get perms. Now, my hair is super wavy and turns into a frizzy mess when diving. For about 5 years I would get the Brazilian straightening treatment with wonderful results. I started learning how to do it myself with good results. Last kit I used(about a year ago) fried my hair. Either a bad kit or bad technique on my part. Next time I will have to pay out the nose and have a professional apply treatment. Both saltwater and shampoos with sulfates will shorten the life of your treatment. When I went diving with treated hair, I would apply some coconut oil on the ends and use a silicone cap. It did help, but I think it shortened the effectiveness of treatment.

Topside during dive vacation I use a hair clip and pretty much look like a sea hag. If I am going out somewhere nice or want straight hair, I apply the Aveda Gloss straightening gloss. It really works! Plus it holds up well in the humidity.

Back
Top Bottom