Diving an inflatable: Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darth_Rahl

Registered
Reaction score
So I've done some shore diving, and I am starting to get a little tired of it. lately I have been thinking that I need a boat, but I'm not sure which boat will get me what I want.

My first problem is that even though I have a garage space is limited. There are two motorcycles, my tools, and all my scuba gear in the garage so I don't have any the space for anything that doesn't deflate.

I also have some general questions

what floor works best for diving?
how big should the engine be?
how should I setup my gear BC, tanks etc in the boat?
What type of anchor works best in Monterrey bay?

I was thinking about something like this West Marine: West Marine Traditional Anchors Product Display

but how heavy should it be, and how long should the anchor line be?

Right now, the boat I like would be the Zodiac Futura with a 25 to 40 horse engine. The HD version with the aluminum floor. This is a fast and capable boat especially if outfitted with steering and seating.

I have owned Achilles, Avon and now a Novurania Cancuro 420. I find non-rigid boats better for all around use and they can be left assembled on a trailer or broken down and stored away in winter. IMO a boat of 14 feet plus or minus with a 25 horse Yamaha two stroke would be a top contender. Look at the Bombard Commando line up, the Zodiac Futura and Grande Raid, Novurania GS 420 (ex Cancuro) etc come to mind. All of these boats have either wooden or aluminum floors and either inflatedable V keels or rigid (wood) V keels. Hypalon is better than PVC/plastic/Decitex but some brands like Zodiac use plastic with good success (now more than in the past--better bonding processes and materials progress).

Given that resale is not a strong suit of these boats I would not invest in large (over 16 foot) rigids (RIBs). In that size range you might as well get a glass boat, better resale and more room foot for foot and in some brands of glass boats equally unsinkable or more so. JMO. I would outift it with a small chartplotter/GPS, handheld waterproof VHF, anchor and a tow line for drifting and a trailer. See the sailboat diving thread, we just had a small discusion of using inflatables from sailing yahts as dive tenders.

In a glass boat I like DriDek to protect the floor, in a "rubber" boat I find outdoor carpet to be my friend. Custom cut it, sew the edges, use marine snaps to secure to the floor.

Blowup boats are light enough they do not need powerful anchors, I have had good success with small mushroom anchors of 8 pounds, eight feet of chain and anchor rode to provide about 4 to 1 scope. We have often just drifted with the boat, not anchored, I carry the line (without anchor)

Folding grapples work well also, 6 to 8 pounds. Use 3/8 inch nylon twisted rode, line and anchor go in a bucket in the front. Tanks lay across the bottom pre rigged. You will need a rope ladder to boost yourself back in. If you think you will run at speed then secure the tanks with a strap.

N

what floor works best for diving?
Since you have no room, you might consider an interlocking floorboard system. The floor breaks down into 4 or 5 pieces, so storage isn't bad. The inflatable itself will roll p to something a bit larger than a duffle bag. I had setup 2 hooks on the beam in my garage and suspended the inflatable with cargo straps. Of course, depending on what you drive, this, a motor, and scuba gear might not all fit.

There are a few factors to consider here. How many people will/might you take out? What are the seas like there? How far out are you going? Generally, I'd say buy the largest you can afford, other than cost, I've never heard anyone complain that they had too much space on a boat. Also, remember that inflatables don't protect you from weather and there is no head (my wife would never go for one).

how big should the engine be?
Depends on the boats size, how much gear/passengers, and the sea conditions you're planning to head out in.

how should I setup my gear BC, tanks etc in the boat?
People I know that have done dives from inflatables head out with the wet/dry suits on and have their gear setup, laying down with air off. When they get to the site, they anchor (and make sure they have a good hook), drop a flag, turn the air on, gear up and drop over the side. You might also be able to have tanks for a second dive depending on the inflatables size and how many are on board.

What type of anchor works best in Monterrey bay?
I don't know your area, but the bottom type is a key factor in deciding on an anchor. I have a danforth type and it works great, but the bottom types in the Northeast vary wildly (rock, grass, sand, mud, ledge, gravel - all within a few miles).

I was thinking about something like this West Marine: West Marine Traditional Anchors Product Display

but how heavy should it be, and how long should the anchor line be?
The 8lb should be more than enough for you. A 9lb. anchor is recommended for a 27' boat (much more drag from current and freeboard to catch the wind). You will also want some chain (at least 3', but more would be better). And a decent amount of line, but not too much to eat up all your free space.

Other things you might want to consider:

An inflatable isn't the easiest type of boat to get into with your gear on. A tuna ball with a short line attached to the boat gives you a great and secure place to leave your BC while you get onboard.

You will need to obey the rules. This includes life jackets for all passengers, nav and anchor lights for night use, and a radio (can be handheld).

Don't forget suntan lotion, hat, protective clothing. There is no escape from the sun on an inflatable.

If this is all too inconvenient, you might look into an inexpensive fiberglass boat with a mooring. You would still need an inflatable to get to it, but you can get something very basic. As far as off season storage, boat yards store for a cost.

It may seem like a lot to consider, but it is worth thinking through.

One other thing, we have never used an inflatable in cold water, we have used ours from the Keys to South Padre, we have been ten miles offhsore and made long runs, it can be rough and tiring. Long runs are not a strong point. We always just wore a bathing suit and a T shirt and maybe some dry cloths in a dry bag for getting dinner afterwards so you don't have to prance around in your Speedo---lol --- and bring a windbreaker in case it rains. As far as heavy exposure gear, dry suits and all that, don't know, might have to partially gear up on land, finsh once at anchor. Not sure.

Another thing, I have found our retractable/removable landing gear useful for beach entires.

N

Post in NorCal Section may have better response.
I have used my inflatable in Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur. I have an Achilles with a 15hp. The size needed depends on your usage. Too big a boat and it will be hard to lift. For example, if just for you and your wife/girl a 12 footer may be all you can get to the water. A 12 footer may be able to carry 3 men with gear, but it will be slow. The size of the motor is dependent on the transom of the boat. The smaller inflatables are rated for 10-25hp. I have marine grade plywood floor boards in mine. Some use aluminum floor boards. The entire boat folds into a bag about 4' x 3' x 2'. The motor is on a Costco handtruck inside a 5 gallon paint bucket. I would also check CraigsList and I would stick with Achilles or Avon due to the tube material. I have been out in bad seas where the boat completely filled with water faster than can be bailed. Gas tank and gear floating and made it back to shore under power. We just clip our gear to the inside boat D-rings in case the boat flips in surf. I had that happen once at Carmel River SB. Getting back into the boat I clip my BC to the outside grab line so it does not float away. I have tied off to kelp, but the wind picks up in the afternoon and it may tear off. So I also carry 100' line and an anchor I got from Walmart. It may be 8lbs or so. We also use it for Abalone diving Sonoma/Mendocino. We also use it for rafting American River.

Yes, those transom mount wheels are commonly used and easy to install or make. As for getting in the water easily, depends on your location. Monterey Breakwater, MacAbee Beach OK. Lovers Point, Carmel River SB near the mouth or other Carmel and Big Sur locations as well as many Sonoma and Mendocino locations it may be better to have 2-4 men. I am assuming of course that a trailer will not be used.

I have a <75lb 15hp 2-stroke. My Achilles is not rated for 25hp. I think if I put in a one piece floorboard and attach it to the transom it will make for a more stable boat. I went lightweight on everything due to the option of rough and somewhat steep entry points along the rugged Northern California coast. Also, my wife is relatively tall and strong for her size, but is pretty skinny. Launching from the Monterey Harbor, Breakwater, Stillwater Cove, Point Lobos there is no problem. Santa Cruz Harbor is also nice. Elkhorn Slough/Moss Landing is nice for bird watching. I have also used it in the San Francisco Bay - Alviso for bird watching - Mare Island for Halibut in San Pablo Bay.

Last edited:
The landing gear I am talking about mount to the transom and flip up or down or remove. These allow two people to handle a much larger boat that they would otherwise. Mine have balloon type tires for rolling over soft sand.

CM has some excellent points, I used to have an Achillies and a 12 footer is a good size for two people, that is what ours was, 12 feet (but with 25 horses). My Novurania Cancuro is BTW a Hypalong and neoprene boat, it was bitten by a bullshark and was no worse for the wear. In fact, he got in the boat so we got out. Look also at AMI boats. The AMI like he Zodiac Futura has the "speed" tubes.

Engines, the old Mercury 25 and the current Yamaha 25 two stroke weigh a tad over 100 pounds, the four strokes in that size weight over 150. The 15 four stroke runs about 112. The most I can lift is 100 pounds thus my love for the 25 two strokes. The 35 we had on the Novurania for a bit was to heavy for me, it was during a time I kept the boat on a trailer and used my engine hoist to remove whenever needed too that we made advantage of the 35.

Four people are possible in a 14 foot with 25 horses. Two is much better. The 15 foot Commando or Grande Raid are better for four people. Two people and four tanks or four people and four tanks is a reasonable load, four people with two each sets of doubles, not reasonable.

Do a search for inflatables, many inflatable centers will have still good used boats. WARNING, a thread bare rubber boat and clunker motor or not going to make you a happy diver. Electric start is really nice. N

Last edited:
thanks for the feedback, it certainly gives me a lot to think about.

Edit: Just to be clear I'm looking for a 2-4 person setup, and I would love to get a bigger boat but I just can't do that right now.

Rugged Series

AMI has several interesting boats including the one I linked to. I have seen a few of these and I sort of like them or just go bite the bullet and get something like this;

P6150430.jpg

Unfortuantely it does not roll up and stuff into a closet or the back of the old VW bus.

Good luck to you, hope you find a good rig for your adventures.

N

I've used both the Archilles and Zodiacs for diving. I have had a large Archilles with a 75 HP jet drive Merc that was the largest inflatabler boat I have got to dive out of and could handle 3 divers with 6 tanks. I currently dive out of a small Archilles with an aluminum floor with a 20 HP Merc. Not much room in it and has not held up welll.
I got about 5 years hard use from a Zodiac Futura Fast Roller with the speed tubes. It also had a jet drive. I used it for river diving. It held up very well to abuse and we drove it like we stole it. Good boat. I also had a Zodiac F 470Z. It is a special warfare boat and pretty pricey. It is black in color and it gets hot as blazes in the summer. You can about cook an egg on it. Unless you plan on raiding and plundering stay away from black. Like Nemrod said the boats lose value after a while. I would look for a used boat that has been kept out of the sun. I would avois anything older than 5 years. Stick with Hypalon if you can and learn to make repairs yourself. Even major rips can be effectively patched and hold up well if done correctly.

We used to pull our inflatable on a trailer and launch from the beach behind our VW Vanagon but this is cool, check it out:

YouTube - zodiac beach cart demo

If we all win the lottery I will take one of these mega RIBs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYrZUPE0PCo&feature=related

I tell you what, if gasoline continues to rise and Americans have to downsize to Europeon dimensions I suspect we will come to enjoy and appreciate inflatables the same way as the folks on the old continent do. Inflatables have ALWAYS been popular in Europe as general purpose boats, much, much less so here. I cannot help it, I love the things, honey, hand me that patch kit!

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom