Diving an inflatable: Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can get some very decent boats for that sort of money. Check Defender Industries, I've found that they have some of the best prices going.

Cheers.

hey man, that's quite a good budget you have! I spent about $1K between the 8.6'' west marine inflatable, 3.5hp motor, and then buying a small 2 gallon gas tank, anchor, chain, rope, and other misc items for it. Keep checking Craigslist.org for good deals in the boats section.

are you going with inflatable or hard bottom?

I know you probably want a new one, but check craigslist. For your budget you can find a bigger nicer boat in your price range. But would probably have to launch ligally.

Thanks guys great info! As much as I hate the 1/4 mile hike down the beach to dive, I think i'll be patient and wait for a good deal... and make sure I can have a boat in the dive way ;-)

Hi, I dove a 14 ft Achilles for years in the great lakes. Great boat, 20hp, aluminum floorboards. The most I had onboard was 4 divers with two tanks each.

15' long, no motor yet, any suggestions on outfitting this boat.
I'll be diving in No.California waters
Motor suggestions ( not over $1k )
boat the boat,trailer and 4hp motor SeaKing $500
seems to be in good shape 1983
gary

Attachments

• zodiac grand raid 83.jpg
    zodiac grand raid 83.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 263
  • zodiac GRlll2.jpg
    zodiac GRlll2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 251
  • zodiac GRlll.jpg
    zodiac GRlll.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 202
Just a couple of suggestions about these older boats, if you don't know 'em already. I've had 3 made from hypalon, one from PVC. The glued seams and transom connections get old and weak after time, much faster when the boat is exposed to heat and sun, so keep it covered and cool. I can't stress that enough - even hypalon fabric will literally fall apart if you stress it enough and 1983 is a ways down the road... On the other hand, I now have a 1985 Achilles and everything seems tight and healthy, it's obviously been cared for. Keep it fully inflated at all times to discourage delamination of glued seams, and flexing of loose fabric. The seams will hold up best to shear strain, as intended, but when old the glued joints can be pulled apart fairly easily. Try a fingernail underneath one of the transom tapes if you want to see. The rubber on the inside or outside can delaminate from the woven fabric, and I expect flexing of loose tubes only hastens that. Inflation keeps those kinds of stresses to a minimum. Likewise, when trailering use a support strut to completely immobilize the motor. Two years ago, I had the transom in a 1991 Achilles SG140 pull loose after one night of gentle rocking up at Ocean Cove, with the 210lb motor tilted up. That was the newest of my four boats but in the worst shape, due to obvious sun exposure.

Those Grand Raids are nice boats, I'd put a minimum 40HP two stroke on that baby.

You can get some very decent boats for that sort of money. Check Defender Industries, I've found that they have some of the best prices going.

Cheers.

Just bought myself an inflatable Hypalon boat from Defender. Very professional business via online and phone representatives.

X

Just bought myself an inflatable Hypalon boat from Defender. Very professional business via online and phone representatives.

X

What did you get?

I bought a Zodiac Futura MKII that is 14' with a 40HP 2 stroke, that sits on a nice trailer. Got the whole package for $1450, but like all Zodiac's the floor and transom had to be reglued. So far it has been working great on the Pacific Ocean with three to four divers.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Launching at BW.jpg
    Launching at BW.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 2,569
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom