Diving an inflatable: Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

I just bought a WestMarine 8'6'' used sportboat. It's awesome. It has a 3.5 Nissan 2-stroke outboard. It has those rear wheels like dannobee has on his.

I've never launched an inflatable. For me, launching out of a harbor is way too far away from any good dive sites. It's super light and I can even carry the boat by myself.

Question: besides on a super calm day, how do you guys go about launching a small inflatable from a sandy beach?
My only concern are waves that are too large, but I've paddled out smaller seyvlors without capsizing or taking on too much water ha-ha.

Dann: My gf's parents live right up there! I'll bring my inflatable up in the Jeep and we'll tie em together! w000

Guy,

I bought the AB 10' vl rib this spring w/ 25 2 stroke yamaha in March. I could not be happier. We have excellent diving and fishing within 4 miles of the beach-actually 1/2 mile. The problem was the closest place to launch is 30 miles either direction or you have to own a 4 wheel drive to launch off the beach (pain). I live between PC and destin in NW florida and the sand is very fine like sugar. I have been carrying it @ 200' from coastal lake to gulf. Boat weighs 135#'s and motor weighs 110#'s -add 4 gallons gas, plus ice chest and gear it gets heavy quick. Any suggestions on a wheel system they may work in soft sand to make it less of a chore??

These are the balloon launching wheels that I use on my Novurania Cancuro 420. They travel through sand with ease. They come in a set and can be flipped up or down or removed without tools.

DSCF0072.jpg

Not sure where to buy them, I got mine in Houston in 1984.

N

Launching a powered vessel from the beach is illegal in SoCal.
Any craft that is not suitable for common use in the surf, i.e. other than surfboards, body boards, surf skis and kayaks, must remain a minimum of 300 yards off shore at all times. During times of very heavy surf, it may be advisable to remain even farther off shore. Motorized craft may not be launched from any Los Angeles County Beach nor can they be inside the 300 yard limit at any time. Boats and jet skis can be launched from Los Angeles County facilities that posses boat launching ramps like Cabrillo Beach, Redondo Beach and Marina del Rey.

Launching a powered vessel from the beach is illegal in SoCal.
Any craft that is not suitable for common use in the surf, i.e. other than surfboards, body boards, surf skis and kayaks, must remain a minimum of 300 yards off shore at all times. During times of very heavy surf, it may be advisable to remain even farther off shore. Motorized craft may not be launched from any Los Angeles County Beach nor can they be inside the 300 yard limit at any time. Boats and jet skis can be launched from Los Angeles County facilities that posses boat launching ramps like Cabrillo Beach, Redondo Beach and Marina del Rey.
Are you are referring to L.A. County beaches or everywhere? I was unaware of a blanket prohibition, but then most of my inflatable use was up north, or from Scripps Pier.

Yes, L.A. County. I'm not aware of any public beach where it could be legally launched.
I know that Los Angelenos are a bit insular, but that's not yet all of SoCal.:D

I know that Los Angelenos are a bit insular, but that's not yet all of SoCal.:D

I know some people that would find it EASIER to launch a boat rather than paddle out on a surfboard. ANyways, I launched up in santa barbara. 1ft surf and we went through 2 waves and were through the surf zone. The 3.5 hp motor is more than sufficient for my needs according to how it performed this weekend. Thanks guys!

Wow there are so many choices to make! I have to say I like your idea of "biting the bullet." I'm 23 and am also getting tiered of shore diving. The reef in Santa Barbara, CA I usually dive requires about a 1/2 mile to the beach and another 1 mile to the spot, then another 1/2 mile out to the reef! Sooo getting to my point, I could bite the bullet and spend maybe $3000... ok $4k if I really had to on a boat, but it's pretty much all I think about ;-) Having a boat would change my life! So if you were me and had between $2k - $4k to spend on a boat, that could fit in my driveway on a trailer. What would you get??? Can wait to hear what you have to say! Thanks DiveIntoYourImagination.com

Wow there are so many choices to make! I have to say I like your idea of "biting the bullet." I'm 23 and am also getting tiered of shore diving. The reef in Santa Barbara, CA I usually dive requires about a 1/2 mile to the beach and another 1 mile to the spot, then another 1/2 mile out to the reef! Sooo getting to my point, I could bite the bullet and spend maybe $3000... ok $4k if I really had to on a boat, but it's pretty much all I think about ;-) Having a boat would change my life! So if you were me and had between $2k - $4k to spend on a boat, that could fit in my driveway on a trailer. What would you get??? Can wait to hear what you have to say! Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom