Diving after knee surgery?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lilo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I just had knee surgery again on my left knee. I had the meniscus torn, cartilage, a cyst plus arthritis on my knee cap.

How long do I have to wait to go back diving? ItÃÔ been a month of my surgery but I still have pain and some swelling. So I know I can't go now but once my pain is gone I wonder how soon I can get back into the water?:confused:

Appreciate your response.

Izette:D

Hi Izette:

Returning to diving is a medical question. However, people who experience painful knees are often more sensitive to pain if they have a decompression issue.

Hi Izette,

This forum is described above as, "Ask Dr. Decompression Ask Dr. Deco questions concerning the scientific aspects of decompression. This forum is to provide information of a scientific nature. Dr. Deco has worked for NASA at the Johnson Space Center and was the former Head of the Environmental Physiology and Biophysics Research."

As your question really is medical in nature, you might get a more complete response on the adjacent Diving Medicine forum ---> http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/.

To get things rolling, we'll need a little more information, including:

1. You indicate, "I just had knee surgery again on my left knee."

Of what type(s) was the prior surgery(ies)? When was it performed? What was the outcome(s)?

2. You indicate, "I had the meniscus torn, cartilage, a cyst plus arthritis on my knee cap."

Which meniscus was involved, the anterior or the lateral?

3. How is your rehab progressing?

4. Do you have any other medical conditions that may be problematic for SCUBA?

Based on your description to date, it's likely that you won't be cleared for diving for some while yet. Even after you're much improved, finning can reinjure a knee. Kicking motions are hard on knees and doing so with a fin on only increases the strain.

In any event, the ultimate answer is, "When your orthopedist and physical therapist both agree you can return to SCUBA."

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Your answer is dependent upon the type of diving you plan to do. I did a lot of trauma damage to my left knee and the top of the tabula and was not able to resume "normal activity" for 1 & 1/2 years!

I had 1 major operation, 4 minor operations, lots of PT and it took that long to feel comfortable and not feel dependent upon others for my safety. If all conditions are OK, you might be fine in the water sooner, but that is a risk that you probably shouldn't take. Things that have never happen, happen all the time.

Each situation is different, but a simple test is to move around with and without 10-25 pounds of weight, balance on one foot, hop up and down and then do a few squats. Do you feel comfortable? Can you go from side to side without discomfort? Feel normal? You yourself can easily answer these questions and if the answer is, "I'm not sure," The answer is probably NOT till you are positive. Your PT person is a good one for the answer. They know your imediate condition.

Your answer is dependent upon the type of diving you plan to do.

Hi DanBWM,

The problem with this is that given open water SCUBA there's no guarantee the diving one is "planning" to do is the diving he or she actually will do.

Unless diving is limited to a pool or similar envrionment, unanticipated high current, strong surge, buddy rescue, a long surface swim in rough conditions and the like can, and do, happen.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Sorry for my delayed response. I'm still having pain in my knee and my recovery not going as good as the first time.

Here are my answers:

Knee Arthroscopy

My first surgery was in May 25 2007. I had the meniscus torn, loose body, fluid, a cyst and bursitis. Process of recovery was excellent for me. I was up and running again after a month.

Second was in April 21 2009, same meniscus torn, loose body, torn cartilage, cyst and they found arthritis.

2. You indicate, "I had the meniscus torn, cartilage, a cyst plus arthritis on my knee cap."

I don’t know if it was anterior or lateral for both surgeries.

This time my recovery has been terrible as my knee is still swollen, I have pain and my muscles are still weak. In spite of my therapy three times a week.

I suffer from asthma but its well controlled besides I know when I’m good to go diving and if not, I go to my doctor for a pulmonary test just to make sure.

Only one time I went diving and at 15 feet I noticed my lungs were feeling way too tight and I could barely breathe. I aborted the dive and missed out on a wonderful dive but my life comes first.:D

I never had any other problems. Thank God!

Here are some pictures.

Hi Izette,

This forum is described above as, "Ask Dr. Decompression Ask Dr. Deco questions concerning the scientific aspects of decompression. This forum is to provide information of a scientific nature. Dr. Deco has worked for NASA at the Johnson Space Center and was the former Head of the Environmental Physiology and Biophysics Research."

As your question really is medical in nature, you might get a more complete response on the adjacent Diving Medicine forum ---> Diving Medicine - ScubaBoard.

To get things rolling, we'll need a little more information, including:

1. You indicate, "I just had knee surgery again on my left knee."

Of what type(s) was the prior surgery(ies)? When was it performed? What was the outcome(s)?

Based on your description to date, it's likely that you won't be cleared for diving for some while yet. Even after you're much improved, finning can reinjure a knee. Kicking motions are hard on knees and doing so with a fin on only increases the strain.

In any event, the ultimate answer is, "When your orthopedist and physical therapist both agree you can return to SCUBA."

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Attachments

• Knee Surgery pictures_Page_1.jpg
    Knee Surgery pictures_Page_1.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 310
  • Knee Surgery pictures_Page_2.jpg
    Knee Surgery pictures_Page_2.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Knee Surgery pictures_Page_3.jpg
    Knee Surgery pictures_Page_3.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 142
Hi Izette,

Thanks for the follow up.

I'm sure it's discouraging recovery hasn't been more rapid and complete, but this is not entirely unexpected given repeated damage to the joint and several surgeries.

It sounds like you're getting good care and following rehab recommendations as directed, so time and a positive outlook should result in some continued improvement. Three months is not a highly atypical period considering the history provided.

As for return to SCUBA, the answer is when your orthopedist clears you for full physical activity and you feel up to it.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such

Thanks DocVikingo :) I just wish time would pass by fast! :depressed: I want to get back into the water!! :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom