Diving after diagnosed panic disorder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say take it slow out of the water and in the water. Start out on the shallow side of 10 meters, stay away from current and overhead, dive with someone you trust with your life, and just breathe.

No one should have to give up something they love.

Be sure whoever you plan to splash with is aware of your condition, that way they can make an i formed choice to get in the water with you. Not telling them puts both of you at risk.

-Z

I can report on this topic from my own subjective experience. I myself was the first hundred dives pretty free of fear when diving. Over time, however, there were experiences/situations that changed that for me. This included that I once had to observe another person in active panic (everything turned out well). Later I was diving in a larger group, where I was the most experienced diver after the guide. That's why I got a very dear but also very inexperienced buddy and came to the end of the group. The guide was far away and had to take care of other problems. I was somehow the guide of the back part of the whole group. During the dive I got problems myself, but I knew that I could not rely on the buddy (he would have been totally overwhelmed). That also turned out well, but it was pure stress. A few other experiences came along as well. In addition, stress from other things from work/getting older/life goals definitely plays a role. In the end, I have become more intensively involved with diving medicine and the questions of where/how/why I want to dive. I have become highly sensitive to group dynamics and my own ego and the ego of others.

For me it was/is clear that I basically continue to go diving. I have wanted to dive since I was a child. When I stand by the sea or a beautiful lake, I know again that I want to get into the water :)

What now?
After that I started to do only leisurely dives to a maximum of 10m and without bigger groups. With this fundament I worked my way forward again. Under good conditions I also do more demanding dives again. An important realization is also that you ultimately have to have solo diving skills. I am highly sensitive on dives where I notice that the others want to show "how good they are". To be fair though, sometimes you have that need too and I try to minimize that.

Last spring/summer, I missed out on a lot of diving because of the pandemic. This spring/almost summer, I'm missing out on a lot of diving because beach conditions have been terrible and I'm a little short on the time and money required for boat dives after buying a house, moving, and still being in the process of fixing it up. These dry periods have highlighted how important diving has become for my stress management and general well-being. Sounds like you're exercising appropriate caution by working with your doc and taking it slow. But I wouldn't be surprised if you, too, found diving to be the solution rather than a problem.

Back
Top Bottom