Diving accident and fatalities statistics? Where to get any?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read from an article about DAN, any comment? I'm sure there are a lot of people who may know more on this...
The article is called "Insured by DAN? Sorry, you're not covered"
This is the full version:
http://www.cdnn.info/news/industry/i060110.html

some quotes:
"DURHAM, North Carolina (10 Jan 2006) -- The three-year dispute between SSS, the world's leading global hyperbaric chamber network, and DAN, a scandal-plagued scuba diver insurance group, has boiled over.

Sub-Aquatic Safety Services (SSS), which operates recompression chambers from America to Belize to Thailand has announced it will no longer accept scuba divers insured by Divers Alert Network (DAN) unless they pay out of their own pockets.

DAN, which provoked the dispute by repeatedly harassing SSS over fair market pricing of hyperbaric chamber fees, has been widely criticized within the scuba diving industry for ignoring its stated diver safety mission, spinning off commerical offshore tax evasion schemes and colluding with ousted CEO Peter Bennett to cover up alleged financial improprieties...."

I don't know why so many Americans think there is just one "DAN". DAN Europe (to which I belong, as well as DAN Americas) has completely different insurance products. For example, with DAN Europe you can get professional cover, either individually or at dive centre/club level. Not so at all with DAN Americas. You can only have membership of the DAN you're in the area of, and unusually I'm entitled to belong to both of these. DAN organisations in other parts of the world are different again, though I have no direct experience of them.

This dispute with SSS only involved DAN Americas, and as my dive centre in Belize was covered under DAN Europe all my divers were as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom